nal, from Providence, R. I.,45 miles
in length, terminates here; and
here is a permanent depot on the
great western rail road from Boston
to the Hudson river.
This is the seat of many religious,
literary, and philanthropic societies,
The State Lunatic Asylum, es-
tablished in this town in 1832, is an
institution honorable to the nature
of man. It is a beautiful building,
delightfully located, and admirably
conducted. Its plan and arrange-
ments are so excellent as to render
it a model for similar institutions
in other states.
This institution is a receptacle
for all persons arraigned as crimi-
nals, but found to have committed
the offences in a state of insanity ;
of paupers, and of those who are
so furiously mad as to render their
continuance at large dangerous to
Although the worst cases of in-
sanity are found here, yet experi-
ence has proved that there are very
few cases of derangement which
may not be ameliorated by the
kindly influence of humane treat-
ments The average recoveries, to
the present time, is about 56 pr. ct.
The American Antiquarian So-
ciety, was founded in 1812. By
the liberality of the late Isaiah
Thomas, LL. D., one of its first
benefactors, a spacious hall was
erected in 1820, for the reception
of its large and valuable cabinet of
antiquities, and its library of about
12,000 volumes of American pub-
lications, particularly of all works
pertaining to American history, and
Mr. Thomas was the father of
New England printers. He pub-
lished the first newspaper in this
town, in 1775, and, a few years af-
ter, the first bible in America. He
was a gentleman of great patri-
otism and liberality. He was born
in Boston, January 19th, 1749, and
died in this town, April 4,1831.
Hampshire co. This town has a
good soil: it is pleasantly situated
on elevated ground: it has some
mineral treasures, and is washed by
a branch of Westfield river. It is
103 miles W. from Boston, 55 E.
from Albany, N. Y., and 17 W. N.
W. from Northampton. Incorpora-
ted, 1763. Population, 1837,1,142.
The manufactures of Worthing-
ton consist of leather, boots, shoes,
curtains, children’s wagons, and
hats: annual value, about $50,000.
In 1837, there were sheared in
this town 9,050 merino sheep : the
wool weighed 27,000 pounds, and
sold for $16,875.
Norfolk co. There is a large
pond near the centre of this town,
from which issue several streams
which flow to the Charles, Nepon-
set and Taunton. In this town are
one woolen and four cotton mills,
an axe manufactory; boat build-
ing to a considerable extent; and
manufactures of boots, shoes, hats,
hoops and straw bonnets. The to-
tal -value of the manufactures of
this town, for the year ending April
1, 1837, was $204,806; of which
$77,815 was for straw bonnets.
Wrentham is a pleasant town,
with a tolerable soil and diversified
surface. It was taken from Ded<-
ham in 1673. Population, 1837,
A family of Indians once resi-
ded in a cavern in this town, called
“ Wampum’s Rock,” which place
is rather a curiosity. The Indian
name of the town was Walloma-
Wrentham is 27 miles S. by W.
from Boston, and 15 S. by W. from
Dedham. This town is bounded S.
E. by Mansfield, and within the re-
gion of a vast bed of anthracite coal.
Yantic River, Ot.
New London co. This stream