ants now cultivate the soil of their
One of the shire towns* of Liftcolh
co. Topsham is'pleasantly situated
on the N. side of Androscoggin riv-
er, opposite to Brunswick. This is'
a good farming town, and, in com-
mon with Brunswick, enjoys a great
hydraulic power, and accommoda-
tions for ship building and naviga-
tion. It is a place of considerable
trade, and much lumber is annual-
ly shipped. >
Topsham was incorporated in
1764. Population, 183‘7, 1,778.
Orange co. This town is on ele-
vated ground ; with a rocky, strong
soil, adapted to grazing. It con-,
tains much granite, and is watered
by the upper branches of Wait’s
river, which propel a number of
mills. The town was first settled
in 1781. Population 1830, 1,384.
It is 19 miles S. E. from Montpe-
lier, 47 N. from Windsor, and 15 N.
E; from Chelsea.
Tor ring to 11, Ct.
Litchfield co. This town was
first settled in 1737. Its surface is
diversified by hill.s and. valleys, and
the soil is better adapted to grazing
thamthe culture of grain. There
are many sheep in the town, and.
the products of. the dairy are con-_
siderable. Population, 1830,1,654.
Two branches of Naugatuck riv-
er meet at Wolcottville\ a beauti-.
ful village, in the south part of the
town; 26 miles W. N. W. from
Hartford, 40 N. by W. from New
Haven, and 7 N. by E. from Litch-
field. This village is. situated in a
valley, and contains an extensive
woolen factory, a church, an acad-
emy, and a number of handsome
dwelling houses. Near this village,
a good bed of copper ore has re-
cently been discovered ; and Mr.
Israel Coe, the proprietor, has com-
menced the manufacture of brass
kettles, the first establishment of
the kind, it is believed, in the Uni-
W.olcottville owes its rise,, prin-
cipally, to Oliver' Wolcott,
secretary of the United States
Treasury, during the .administra-
tions of Washington and John Ad-
ams; and governor of Connecticut
'10 successive years. He was born
at .Litchfield, and died in New
York, 1833, aged 74.
Middlesex co. The surface of
this town is rather level; gome parts
are pine plains.' The soil is'gener-
ally light, but in some'sections it is
productive, particularly of fruit
trees. It is watered by a branch ot
the Nashua, a beautiful mill stream,
on which are divers mechanical op-
erations. “Townsend Harbor,” on
the road from Groton to New Ips-
wich, N. H., is an active, pleasant
village. The manufactures of this
town 'consist of leather, palra-leaf
hats, boots, shoes, ploughs, straw
bonnets, fish barrels* nail kegs, and
dry casks; annual value, about
$7'5,00Q. This 'town was incorpo-
rated in 1732. Population, in 1830,
1,506; 1837,1,749. It lies 38 miles
N. from Boston, and 22 N. W. from
Windham co. This town was
first settled in 1761. Among the
first settlers, was Gen. Samuel
Fletcher, who was a sergeant at
the battle of Bunker Hill, in 1775,
and a captain at Ticonderoga, in
1777. He afterwards rose to the
rank of major general of the mili-
tia ; was high sheriff of the county
18 years, and finally became judge
of the court. He was formerly a
blacksmith; but having welded
himself to a buxom lass, he came to
this, then wilderness spot, and, with
his axe cut his way to fortune, use-
fulness and renown.