great magnitude and value. Man-
ufacturing operations commenced
here many years ago, and have been
gradually increasing ; but.in 1837,
the “Great Works Manufacturing
Company” was incorporated. This
company have a large capital, and
are making arrangements for man-
ufacturing on an extensive scale.
WThen it is considered that this place
is located on navigable waters, and
only about >a dozen miles from the
beautiful harbor of Portsmouth, by
water, these operations promise a
favorable result, both to individual
enterprise and the public.
The village of South Berwickis
pleasantly situated; it is a place of
considerable trade, and in the vicin-
ity of delightful scenery.
Worcester co. This town was
taken from Marlborough in 1727.
It has a good soil, and is well culti-
vated by industrious and skillful
farmers. It is watered by a branch
of Sudbury river, and has man-
ufactures of woolen cloth, hoots,
shoes, and straw bonnets: annual
value, about $50*000. The Boston
and Worcester rail road passes
through this pleasant town. It
lies 26 miles W. from Boston, and
15 E. from Worcester. Population,
Worcester co. Southbridge was
taken from Sturbridge in 1814.—
Population, 1830,1,444; 1837,1740.
It is 54 miles S. W. from Boston,
and 19 S. S. W. from Worcester.
This town is watered by the Quin-
neboag, a branch of the Thames,
and a good mill stream. There are
one woolen and three cotton mills
in Southbridge, and manufactures
of hoots, shoes and cutlery: the
value of which, for the year ending
April 1, 1837, was $262,212. This
town has an excellent soil and a
pleasant and flourishing village.
New Haven co. The principal
village in this town is pleasantly
situated on the Pamperaug, a fin©
mill stream, which passes through
the town. This village is 20 miles
N. W. from New Haven, and 40
S. W. from Hartford.
The village of South Britain is
about 4 miles S. W. from the princi-
pal or central village : it is a flour-
ishing place, containing a num-
ber of neat buildings, a carpet and
several hat factories. This village
is surrounded by high hills and
precipices, and has a romantic and
picturesque appearance. The sur-
face of the town is generally un-
even : there is some good meadow
land on Housatonick, Pamperaug,
and Shepaug rivers, and the up-
lands are warm and productive.
Some traces of coal have been dis-
The northern part of the town is
called *s White Oak,” from an oak
tree under which the first persons
who explored the town encamped.
Pieces, of this tree are considered
by some as precious relics. South-
bury was formerly attached to
Litchfield county. It was a part
of Woodbury, and was first settled
about the year 1672. It was incor-
porated as a distinct town in 1786.
Population, 1830, 1,557.
South. Hadley, Mass*
Hampshire co. Nature and art
seem to have united to render this
an interesting place. The falls on
the Connecticut are 50 feet ; not
perpendicular, but in so short a
distance as to render the river very
rapid. These falls, Mount Hol-
yoke at the north part of the town,
and Mount Tom on the west side of
the river, with the luxuriant mead-
ows along this beautiful stream,
would form a picture of no ordinary
character. These falls are ren-
dered passable for freight and steam