lightful scenery. There are man-
ufactures in the town of leather,
hats, ploughs, and spirits, but the
principal business of the people is
agricultural. In 1837, there were
6,892 sheep sheared in the town :
the value of the wool amounted to
$11,372. Marble and iron ore are
Sheffield is the oldest town in the
county : it was'incorporated in 1733.
It lies 140 miles S. W. from Boston,
20 S. from Lenox, and 28 E. from
Hudson, N. Y. Population, 1837,
Shelburne, N. II.
Coos co. Androscoggin' river
passes through the centre of this
town, into which fall the waters
of Rattle river and some smaller
streams. The soil on each bank of
the liver is very good, producing
in abundance grain and grass: bat
as we rise from the river, the tracts
are mountainous and unfit for culti-
Mount Moriah, an elevated peak
of the White Mountains, lies in the
S. part of Shelburne. Moses’
Rock, so called from the first man
known to have ascended it, (Moses
Ingalls) is on the south side of the
river, near the centre of the town.
It is about 60 feet high and SO long,
very smooth, and rising in an angle
of nearly 50°. In 1778, David and
Benjamin Ingalls commenced a set-
tlement at Shelburne, and not long
afterwards, several families were
added. In August, 1781, a party
of Indians visited this town, killed
<>ne man, made another prisoner,
plundered the houses, and returned
to Canada in sHvage triumph. This
town was incorporated in 1820.
Population,. 1830, 312.
Chittenden co. ^On the east side
of Lake Champlain, 33 miles W. by
N.- from Montpelier, and 7 S. from
Burlington. Population, 1830,1,123.
Logan’s and Potter’s points were
settled previous to the revolutionary
war by men of those names. Dur-
ing the war these settlements were
abandoned, but re-established at its
close. Shelburn is finely watered
by Platt river, a pond covering- 600
acres, and by the waters of the lake.
Shelburn Bay sets into the town-
ship about 4 miles from the N. W.,
and affords the town a good harbor,
and a depot of the interior trade on
the beautiful Champlain. The soil
of the town is strong, fertile, and
generally well improved. About
10,000 sheep are within its limits.
Franklin co. This town lies on
the N. side of Deerfield river op-
posite to Conway. It is 100 miles
W. by N. from Boston, and 5 W.
from Greenfield. Population, 1837,
1,018. Incorporated, 1768. Deer-
field river falls in this town a dis-
tance of 20 feet, and produces a val-
uable water power.
The manufactures of the town
consist of woolen goods, leather,
boots, shoes, scythes, palm-leaf
hats, &c. : annual value about
$40,000. The soil of the town is
generally of a good quality; con-
siderable wool is grown, and some
cattle and products of the dairy are
sent to market. More than common
attention is paid to mental culture.
This is a pleasant and flourishing
town: the scenery about the falls
is very handsome.
Franklin co. The first settle-
ments commenced here in, 1790, by
Elisha and Samuel B. Sheldon, from
Salisbury, Connecticut. This is a
good township of land, productive
of wool, grain, and other northern
commodities. The river Missisque
passes through the town,, and Black
creek, a branch of that river, gives
Sheldon ran ample water power.
The village is a thriving place, both
in its manufactures and trade. It
lies 46 miles N. W. from Montpe-