vessels of moderate draught of wa-
ter, and in which many vessels
have been built.
Ancient Rowley was divided in
1838: its western part was de-
tached and incorporated by the
name of Georgetown. Since this
division Rowlej7- possesses but lit-
tle manufacturing interest, but a
valuable agricultural one, to which
its inhabitants "are principally devo-
Tbis ancient town is very pleas-
ant, and has been the birth place
of many learned men. It lies 30
miles N. from Boston, 16 N. by W.
from Salem, and 25 E.;N. E.- from
Lowell. Population, 1838, about
Oxford co. The surface of tbis
town is elevated, and well timber-
ed, with some good soil. Roxbury
is watered by a branch of Andros-
coggin river. It lies 30 miles N.
from Paris, and is bounded S. by
Rumford. Incorporated, 1835.—
Population, 1837, 182.
Roxbury, N. H.,
Cheshire co., is 5 miles E. from
Keene, and 50 S. W. from Concord.
The N. branch of Ashuelot river
forms the boundary between this
town and Keene. Roaring Brook,
on which are several small meadows,
waters the S. part, and empties in-
to the Ashuelot at the S. W. cor-
ner. On'the E. side of the town-
ship is a pond,called Roaring Brook
pond, at the outlet of which are
Roxbury presents a rough and
uneven surface, rising into consid-
erable swells, affording excellent
This town was formed of a part
of Nelson, Marlborough and Keene,
and incorporated in 1S12. Popula-
tion, 1830, 322.
Washington co. This town is
elevated between the waters of
Onion and White rivers. It lies 15
miles S. S. W. from Montpelier.
First settled, 1789. Population,
Norfolk co. This town is joined
to Boston by a neck of land, over
which are broad and pleasant ave-
nues. Between the centre of each
town is about 3 miles. The surface
-is rocky and uneven, with a strong
soil in a high state of cultivation.
It displays a great degree of agricul-
tural taste-and skill, and abounds in
country seats and pleasure grounds.
That part of this town bordering on
Jamaica pond, 4 miles S. W. from
Boston, is exceedingly pleasant.
This town and Boston were incor-
porated the same year, (1630;) and
nothing but municipal regulations
divide their interests and feelings.
Population, 1810, 3,669; 1820,
4,135; 1830,5,247; 1837,7,493.
The first hourly coach from Bos-
ton commenced running to this town
in 1827. There are now a large
number continually running be-
tween tbe two places, and not less
than 250,000 persons pass annually.
Since that.time, others of a similar
kind have been established to
Charlestown, Cambridge, Dorches-
ter, &c., and tend greatly to pro-
mote tbe public convenience.
The manufactures of Roxbury
consist of leather, nails, hats, chairs,
cabinet ware, pig iron, spirits, &c.:
annual value, about $300,000.
The Rev. John Eliot, the just-
ly celebrated “ Apostle of the In-
dians,” was settled in Roxbury in
1632. Mr. Eliot imbibed the true
spirit of the gospel, and his heart
was touched with the wretched
condition of the Indians. He learn-
ed their language, and translated
the scriptures into it. This would
seem the business of a life; when
the sense of the simple expression,
“ Kneeling down to him.” is con-
veyed in the Indian language