good soil and undulating surface,—
it produced,in 1337,5,326 bushels of
wheat. Population, same year,
1,533. It lies 16 miles E. N. E.
from Augusta, and 24 W. from Bel-
fast. Incorporated, 1*804.'
Hampden co. This town was
originally settled by a colony from
Ireland. It was incorporated in
1752. The surface of Palmer is
hilly, but the soil is good, particu-
larly along the banks of Ware and
Swift rivers, by which it is finely
watered, and supplied with water
power. There are 1 woolen and 2
cotton mills in the town, and manu-
facture's of boots, shoes, scythes,
palm-leaf hats and wagons;—total
amount, the year ending April 1,
1837, $178,556. The value of
2,652 fleecfesof wool sheared in this
town, that yearr was $4,243.—
Palmer lies 70 miles W. by S. from
Boston, and 16 E. N. E. from
Somerset co. Sebasticook river
passes through this town, and af-
fords it a good water power. The soil
is rich, and the surface undulating.
There are some mills in the town,
and considerable attention is paid
to its agricultural interests. It lifes
51 miles N. N. E. from Augusta,
and 25 E. N. E. from Norridgewock.
Incorporated, 1807. Population, in
1837, 1,328. Wheat crop, same
year, 8,523 bushels.
Addison co. This town is bound-
ed W. by Champlain lake., and E.
by Otter creek. A sluggish stream
passes through it; yet, although thus
watered, it does not possess a good
mill site, the country being exceed-
ingly level. It lies 40 miles W. S.
W. from Montpelier, 13 N. W.
from Middlebury, 25 S. by W. from
Burlington, and is 4 miles frorfi
Elizabethtown, N. Y., across the
lake. Population, 1830, 605.
Chief town, Oxford co. Paris is
well watered,and supplied with mill
privileges by Little Androscoggin
river, on which are several mills in
the town. The soil is excellent, al-
though in some parts uneven and
mountainous. The principal vil-
lage is well built, pleasantly located,
and the seat of considerable busi-
ness. The town was incorporated
in 1793. Population, 1837, 2,352.
Wheat crop, same year, 10,453
bushels. Paris lies 42 miles W. by
S. from Augusta, and 40 N. by W.
Piscataquis co. This town is wa-
tered by a branch'of Piscataquis
river, and has an excellent soil for
agricultural purposes. It lies 64
miles N. by E. from Augusta, and
14 W. from Dover. Incorporated,
1822. Population, 1830,803; 1837,
1,125. Wheat crop, 1337, 6,018
York co. This town lies at the
N. W. corner of the county, and is
bounded W. by the state of Ntiw
Hampshire, and N. by Ossipee riv-
er. It is 36 miles W. by N. from
Portland, 21 N. by-W. from Alfred,
and 93 W. S. W. from Augusta.—
First settled, 1774. Incorporated,
17S5. Population, 1837, 2,510.—
The surface of the town is rough
and hilly, but the soil, though hard,
is productive of good crops of grain
and hay. Wheat crop, 1837, 3,929
There are many good farmers in
this town, and good specimens ot
iron ore, zinc and crystalized quartz
are found here. In this place is an
incorporated seminary, for the edu-
cation of males a'nd females. The
institution is under the direction ol
the Free Will Baptists, and is in a