Middlesex co. Natick is a pleas-
ant town, of good soil: it is watered
by Charles river; and contains sev-
eral delightful ponds, well stored
with fish. This was a favorite re-
sort c-f the' Indians. There are
some moderate elevations in the.
town: the Indians used to call' it
“ the place of hills.” *
Under the advice and direction
of the apostle Elliot, the first In-
dian church in New England was
formed here in 1660, and comprised
4 (f communicants.
The manufactures of the town
consist principally of shoes. Dur-
ing the year ending April 1S37,
250,650 pairs were made, valued at
$213,053 : employing 452 hands.
This town was incorporated in 1781.
Population, i830, 890 ; 1S37,1,221.
It lies 16 miles W. S. W. from Bos-
ton, and 12 S. from Concord.
NfmgatTack River, Ct.
This important mill stream is
about 50 miles in length. ‘ It rises
in the north part of Litchfield-coun-
ty, and after traversing a S. course
nearly the whole length cf that
county, it crosses the west port of
New Haven county, and falls into
the Housatonick at Derby.
Neal’s Brookand Poaad, Vt.
Neal’s brook, or branch, rises in
Lunenburgh and the border of
Guildhall, and running south fails
into a pond of the same name. It
continues its course south and meets
the Connecticut. This is a short
stream, but valuable on account of
its water power.
.N'eads pond, a mile in length,
and a half mile in width, is a
handsome-sheet of water, and con-
tains a variety of fish.
Norfolk co. This town is nearly
surrounded by the waters of Charles
river. It contains numerous valua-
ble mill scats. There are in the
town 6 paper mill?, a cotton facto-
ry, and manufactures of shoes,
hats, and window blind hinges :—
annual value, about $150,000. In-
corporated, 1711. Population, 183J,
1,492. Needham lies 4 miles N,
W. from Dedham, and 12 W. S. W.
from Boston, by the Boston and Wor-
Netidoek, Cape, ?ie.
A rocky, barren bluif, inhabited
by a few fishermen, about 3 miles
N. from York harbor.
Nelson, X. II.,
Cheshire co., is situated on the
height of land between Connecti
cut and Merrimack rivers. The
surface is hilly-, hut good for graz-
ing. In the S. part, a branch of
the Ashu^t river rises ; and from
Long poncPfn this town, and Han-
cock, issues a branch of Contoocook
river; The best mill privileges are
furnished by streams issuing from
ponds in this town, of which there
are four, containing a surface of
1,800 acres. There is a coiton and
ether manufactories. The inhabit-
ants are principally farmers oi in-
dustrious habits. It was chartered
Feb. 22, 1774, by the name of
Packersfielcl. In June, 1814, the
name was altered to Nelson. The
first settlements commenced in!767.
Nelson lies'40 miles S. W. from
Concord, and 8 N. E. from Keene.
Population, 1830, 875.
KTep'onset River, Mass.
Norfolk'co. Tbe sources-ot this
river are in Canton, Stoughton, and
Sharon. It receives a tributary
from Charles river, Mother brook,
so called, and meets the tide of Bos-
ton harbor at Milton Mills, 4 miles
from Dorchester bay. This is a
noble mill stream: on its navigable
waters is the depository of the Quin-
cy granite rail-road company, and