There are several islands in the Con-
necticut in this town. On the N.
line, of Hinsdale, is West river
mountain, which extends from the
banks of the Connecticut, E.'across
the whole width of the town. Its
greatest elevation is at the W. end.
President Dwight states the height
above low water mark to be from
800 to 900 feet. In this mountain is
found iron ore, and some other min-
erals and fossils. South of Ashue-
lot, is Stebbins’ hill, a tract of ex-
cellent land, and principally in a
high state of cultivation. The in-
tervales here are extensive, and
of an excellent quality. On the
point of a hill, not far from Con-
• necticut river, there is to be seen
the remains of an Indian fortifica-
tion, constructed prior to the set-
tlement of the town. There is a
deep trench drawn across the hill,
to separate it from the plain back,
and is continued to the river.
Hinsdale was incorporated in
1753. It was originally a part of
Northfield, and was settled as early
as 1683. The.former name of this
place was Fort Dummer and Bridg-
man's Fort. This town encoun-
tered all the difficulties of the In-
dian wars, and struggled with oth-
er hardships incident to frontier
settlements, begun in the wilder-
ness and remote from cultivated
lands. Population, 1830, 937.
Berkshire co. Hinsdale is the
source of a branch of Housatonick
river. It is an elevated township,
and well adapted for grazing.—
There are two woolen mills in
Hinsdale, and manufactures of
boots, shoes, leather, hats, chairs,
and cabinet ware : total amount in
one year $86,550. The value of
11,020 fleeces of wqoI, sheared in
Hinsdale in 1837, weighing 32,116
pounds, was $19,266. This town
was incorporated in 1804. Popula-
tion, 1837, 832. It lies 125 miles
\V. from Boston, and 15 N. N. W.
Oxford co. This town lies on
both sides of a branch of Saco riv-
er, 86 miles W. S. W. from Augus-
ta, and 40 S. W. from Paris. The
township is fertile and productive
of wool and wheat. Incorporated,
1807. Population, 1830, 1,148.
Washington co. Incorporated,
1S32: 179 miles from Augusta. In
1837, with a population .of 552, it
produced 3,184 bushels of wheat.
See “ Down East.”
Worcester co. This town is fine-
ly watered by branches of Black-
stone and Nashua rivers. It has a
valuable water power on Quinipox-
et river. It has some good mead-
ow land on the borders of the
streams. ‘ There are 5 cotton and
2 woolen mills in the town, and
manufactures of leather,boots,shoes,
straw bonnets, and palm-leaf hats ;
total amount of the manufactures
for the year ending April 1, 1837,
$201,960. Holden is 48 miles W.
from Boston, and 6 N. W. from
Worcester. Incorporated, 1740.—
Population, 1837, 1,789.
Holderness, IV. H.
Grafton co. It is 65 miles N. W.
from Portsmouth, and 40 N. from
Concord. The soil is hard and not
easily cultivated, but when sub-
dued is tolerably productive. From
the sap of the sugar maple, a con-
siderable quantity of sugar is made.
The Pemigewasset imparts a por-
tion of its benefits to this place, and
there are various other streams
which serve to fertilize the soil, and
to furnish mill seats. Squam river,
the outlet of Squam ponds, runs in
a S. W. direction and empties into
the Pemigewasset near the S. W.