tive of Peterborough, was one of
the first representatives to congress
under the Federal government, was
appointed Judge of S. C. of N. H.
in 1802, was chief justice, and con-
tinued such till 1809, when he was
elected governor. He was appoint-
ed chief justice of S. J, C. in 1813.
Hon. John Taylor Gilman,
a descendant of one of the princi-
pal settlers at Exeter, was an active
supporter of the revolution; a mem-
ber of the old congress; filled at
times the offices of representative
and state treasurer; and for four-
teen years, between 1794 and 1816,
was governor of the state.
Exeter has at all periods of its
history possessed eminent and use-
ful men; and some of the first law-
yers and jurists, antiquarians and
scholars, have received their early
education at its literary institution.
Population, 1830, 2,759.
Exeter, R. I.
Washington co. This is an agri-
cultural and manufacturing town,
situated 24 miles S. W. from Provi-
dence, and from its centre about 10
miles N. W. from South Kingston.
The town is very large, being 12 by
5 miles. The surface is much di-
versified by hills and valleys; the
soil is a gravelly loam, and very
productive of all the varieties com-
mon to the climate. The products
of the dairy are considerable.—
Branches of Wood river give this
town a good water power, which
is well improved by cotton mills and
otner manufactories. Exeter was
incorporated in 1743. Population,
Franklin co. Bounded S. by La-
moille river: 37 miles N. W. from'
Montpelier, and 12 S. E. from St.
Albans. First settled, 1763. Pop-
ulation, 1830, 1,729. By Parme-
lee’s and Stone’s brooks, Brown’s
river, and the Lamoille, this town
enjoys a good water power. The
falls on Lamoille river, at this place,
are singular and worthy of the tra
veller’s notice. The land is gene*
rally level and of a good quality,
A considerable amount of agricul-
tural products is sent to market, and
about 6,000 sheep are reared. There
are some manufactures at the falls.
Fairfax is a place of considerable
Somerset co. This beautiful town-
ship is located on the W. side of
Kennebec river, and S. of Bloom-
field. Fairfield is the most south-
ern township in the county. It is
watered by a small stream running
into the Kennebec, and by a branch
of Waterville river. This town is
favored with a fine soil, and naviga-
ble privileges to Augusta. It has
a pleasant village, considerable
trade, and, in 1837, produced 11,-
531 bushels of wheat, and a large
quantity of wool. Population, 1837,
2,203. Distant from Augusta, 26
miles N., and from Norridgewock,
10 S. E. Incorporated, 178S.
Franklin co. Thistown was first
settled in 17S9. It is well watered
by Smithfield pond, Fairfield river,
Black creek, and branches of Mis-
sisque river, and abounds in mill
sites. Fairfield has a good strong
soil and generally suitable for cul-
tivation. It is a pleasant place, with
some trade and considerable manu-
factures. It produces good beef
cattle and horses, and pastures about
7,000 sheep. Population, 1830, 2,-
270. Fairfield lies 45 miles N. W.
from Montpelier, 27 N. N. E. from
Burlington, and is bounded W. by
Fairfield County', Ct.
Fairfield and Danbury are the
shire towns. This county is bound-
ed N. by Litchfield county, N. E.
and E. by Housatonick river, S. E.
and S. by Long Island Sound, and