Tolland co. Ellington was taken
from East Windsor in 1786, and was
that part of East Windsor called the
Great .Marsh. The soil is light
and dry, but considerably fertile.
It is generally level, but the east-
ern part is hilly and mountainous.
Formerly the lands in this town
were held in low estimation, but by
the industry of the people in their
cultivation they have risen in char-
acter and value. “ The scenery in
this town embraces considerable va-
riety and is uncommonly interesting
and beautiful.” The “ Ellington
School” for boys, situated in a very
neat village, is in high repute. Pop-
ulation, 1830,1,455. Ellington lies
12 miles N. E. from Hartford, and
is bounded S. E. by Tolland.
York co. This town lies on the
N. W. of Kittery of which it con-
stituted a part until 1810. It ad-
joins Salmon Fall river on the S.
W. by which it is separated from
New Hampshire—and is bounded
N. by South Berwick, and E. by
York. It is a good farming town
and probably contains as great a
proportion of valuable tillage land
as any in the county according to
its size. Population, 1837, 1,859.
Elliot is 108 miles S. W. from Au-
Somerset co. This place
miles from Augusta.
Ellis’ river, in Maine, is a tribu-
tary to the Androscoggin. It rises
N. of Rumford, in the county of
Oxford, and passes through that
town. Ellis’ river, in Neio Hamp-
shire, rises on the E. side of the
White mountains, in several small
streams, near the sources of Pea-
body river, and separating into two
streams which again unite, it falls
into the Saco at Bartlett.
Elllgo Pond, Vt.
This beautiful sheet of water,
two iniles in length and half a mile
in breadth, lies partly in Craftsbury
and partly in Greensborough, Or-
leans county. Its northern outlet
passes to Black river; its southern
to the Lamoille. There are two
small islands in the lake. This was
a favorite resort for the Indians, and
now attracts numerous lovers of fine
trout and delightful scenery to its
Chief town of Hancock co. This
is a pleasant and flourishing town
on both sides of Union river, at the
head of navigation. The village is
principally on the E. side, where
there is a good bridge across the
river, 3 miles above the entrance
of the river into the waters con-
nected with Blue Hill bay. The
tide rises at the bridge 10 or 12 feet,
and Ellsworth possesses an enviable
position for maritime and inland
trade. The location of the courts
for this county was changed from
Castine to this place in 1838. The
court house is eligibly situated on
the W. side of the river. Ellsworth
is quite an agricultural township.
It has a good soil, and considerable
attention is given to the growth of
wheat and wool. It lies 81 miles
E. by N. from Augusta, and 30 N.
E. by E. from Bangor. Population,
1830, 1,385—1837, 2,195.
Ellsworth, N. H.,
Grafton co., is 52 miles N. N.W.
from Concord and 20 S. E. from
Haverhill. Population, 1830, 234.
It is a mountainous tract of territo-
ry. The most prominent elevation
is Carr’s mountain. A small stream
issues from West Branch pond and
runs into the Pemigewasset at
Campton. The soil, though in some
parts sterile, produces wheat, rye