long bridges connecting Moose isl- 1
and with Dennysville and Perry;
each cost $10,000. Eastport and
Lubec are the chief towns in Pas-
samaquoddy bay, and are extensive-
ly engaged in the fisheries, and the
trade of the extensive waters of the
river St. Croix and Bay of Fundy.
Tonnage of Passamaquoddy bay,
10,712. Cobscook Bay and its trib-
utary waters, on the west, give to
Eastport a large trade in lumber.
Moose Island contains 2,150 acres
of rough land. It was first settled
in 1780. In 1790 it contained only
244 inhabitants. There are nowon
the Island a handsome village, con-
taining 60 wharves, 80 stores, 5
meeting-houses, a United States
garrison, and 5,000 inhabitants.
East 'Windsor, Ct.
Hartford co. First settled 1680.
Taken from Windsor, 1768. This
is an excellent township of land.
Its extensive meadows on the east
side of Connecticut river are of
uncommon fertility and beauty.
Among the various agricultural pro-
ducts with which this town abounds,
tobacco has been cultivated with
success, and manufactured. It is
said that 70,000 bushels of rye has
been raised in a season. Scantic
river, a considerable mill stream,
passes through the north part of
the town, and gives it the name of
Scantic. The village of Wapping
is in the S. E. section of the town.
The principal street, about a mile
hack of the river, is the village,
running the whole length of the
town, wide, neatly built and beauti-
fully shaded. East Windsor lies 8
miles N. from Hartford. Popula-
tion, 1830, 2,129.
Raton, N. H.,
Stratford co., lies 60 miles N.
E. from Concord and 55 N. N. E.
from Dover, and is bounded E. by
Maine. Population, 1830, 1,432.
The soil of the uplands, which are
quite uneven, is moderately good,
and the plains furnish excellent
pine timber. There are several
small ponds in this town. Eaton
was granted Nov. 7,1776, to Clem-
ent March and 65 others.
Penobscot co. This town lies on
the east side of Penobscot river, 6
miles above, and N. N. E. from
Bangor, and 70 N. E. by E. from
Augusta. The village is pleasantly
situated at the “ Bend ” of the river.
The soil of the town is good and well
wooded. It produced, in 1837,2,414
bushels of wheat. Population, 183?
Hancock co., situated on the north
part of the island of Mount Desert,
and taken from the town of Mount
Desert (which formerly comprised
the whole island) 1795. First set-
tled, 1763. Eden lies 92 miles E.
from Augusta, and about 18 S. by E.
from Ellsworth. Population, 1837,
1,024. The town has a good soil,
good harbors, and possesses great
advantages for the shore fishery.
It U said that 500 bushels of cran-
berries have been picked in Eden
in a season. Cranberry isles lie
on the coast, about 3 miles south.
Lamoille co. This township was
granted to “ Col. Seth Warner and
his associates, our worthy friends,
the officers and soldiers of his regi-
ment in the line of the continental
army,” August 28, 1781. “ Our
friends,” for their patriotic services,
certainly deserved a better town-
ship than this, for it is mountainous,
rocky and cold ; it is however good
for grazing, and produces some fine
beef cattle and sheep. It is water-
ed by Green river and Wild Branch.
Several ponds in the town afford,
good fishing. Eden lies 30 miles
N. from Montpelier, and is hound-
ed S. by Hvdepark. Population,