NEW ENGLAND GAZETTEER.
and Kilkenny; Pilot and Mill moun-
tains in Stark ; Cape Horn in North-
umberland, and Pondicherry, S. W.
of Jefferson, are all of considerable
magnitude, and partake of the gran-
deur of the White Hills. In the
neighborhood of high mountains are
generally found the sources of our
greater rivers. Three of the prin-
cipal rivers of New England, the
Connecticut, Androscoggin and Sa-
co, take their rise in this county.
There are numerous other streams
which become tributary to these
rivers, the principal of which are
the Mohawk, Amonoosuck, Israel’s
and John’s rivers. The Margalla-
way, after receiving the waters of
Dead and Diamond" rivers, unites
with the Androscoggin, near Um-
bagog lake. This lake lies princi-
pally in Maine. Lake Connecti-
cut is situated north of the 45th de-
; gree of latitude, and is one of the
sources of Connecticut river. The
largest pond in this county lies N.
of lake Connecticut, and is connect-
ed with it by an outlet.
The first settlement in the coun-
ty was made at Lancaster in 1763.
The county \va3 incorporated Dec.
24, 1803, and the name is of Indian
origin, although the same name oc-
curs in the New Testament. The
population in 1S20 was 5,549 ; and
in 1S30, 8,390. Coos contains 23
; town.', and five inhabitants to a
square mile. Lancaster, Shiretown.
1767. Population, 1837,1,445. A
tributary of Deerfield river passes
its northern border. The manu-
factures of Conway consist of cotton
and woolen goods, leather, boots,
shoes, hats, chairs and cabinet
ware. Total amount, year ending
April 1, 1837, $22,475. The value
of wool grown, the same year, was
$5,072, comprising 4,830 fleeces,
weighing 14,490 pounds.
Washington co. Denny’s river,
emptying into Meddybemps lake,
and both discharging into the river
St. Croix at Baring, water the north
part of this town. It lies 164 miles
E. N. E. from Augusta, and about
35 miles N. from Macliias. Popu-
lation, 1837, 571.
Coos County, N. II.
Coos is the largest county in New ;
Hampshire, and within its limits
are situated the contested Indian
Stream territory and the greater
part of the ungranted lands. Large
portions of this county are exceed-
ingly mountainous, cannot he culti-
vated, and will probably never be
settled. This county extends from
lat. 43° 58' to tbe extreme north
part of the state—being 76 miles in
length, and having a mean width
of about 20 miles. The area of
this county is estimated to contain i
1600 square miles, or, in round
numbers, 1,000,000 of acres. It is
bounded N. by Lower Canada, E.
by Maine, S. by the county of
Strafford, W. by Grafton county
and tbe state of Vermont. Besides
the stupendous pile of the White
Mountains, which distinguishes this
county, there are several other
mountains of no inconsiderable
height. Those in Shelburne, Jack-
son and Chatham, on the east side
of the White Mountains, are bold
and abrupt. The Peak and Bow-
back mountains in Stratford ; the
elevations in Dixville, Columbia
Somerset co. Situated 53 miles
W. N. W. from Augusta, and about
35 N. W. from Norridgewock. In-
corporated, 1816. Population, 1837,
1,513. In 1S37, 8,864 bushels of
wheat were raised in this valuable
Penobscot co. This delightful
township lies 81 miles N. W. by W.
from Augusta, and about 25 S. W.
from Bangor. It is watered by
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.