and 40 N. W. from Concord. The
only stream of consequence is the
Mascomy, which rises in the N.W.
part of Dorchester, and after a me-
andering course of 8 or 10 miles,
falls into Mascomy pond in Enfield.
Indian stream river rises in the S.
E. corner of Dorchester, and run-
ning about 8 miles, mingles with
the waters of Mascomy, near the
centre of the town. - Heart pond,
so called fromdts figure, is situated
in the centre of the town, and upon
a swell of land so elevated that
at a distance it presents the appear-
ance of a sheet of water on a hill.
It is about 500 rods in length and
200 in width, and the only natural
curiosity of any note, is the mound,
or bank of earth, which nearly sur-
rounds this pond. It is from 4 to
5 feet high, and from its uniform
height and regular construction
would seem to be the work of art;
hut from frequent annual observa-
tion, it is found to have been pro-
duced by the drifting of the ice
when breaking up in the spring.
Besides this, there are Goose,
Clark’s, Mud and Bear ponds. The
land is not so broken as in some of
the adjoining towns. There is but
little not' capable of cultivation.
The soil is tolerably fertile, and
produces wheat, rye, corn, flax, &c.
Canaan wras granted by charter,
July 9, 1761, to 62 persons, all of
whom except ten belonged to Con-
necticut. It derived its name from
Canaan in that state. The first per-
manent settlement was made in the
winter, in 1766 or 7, by John Sco-
field, who conveyed what effects
he possessed the distance of 14 miles
over a crust of snow upon a hand-
sled. , Among others of the first
settlers, were George Harris, Tho-
mas Miner, Joshua Harris, and
Samuel Jones. The first proprie-
tors’ meeting was held July 19,
1768. Population, in 1880, 1,428.
Essex co. Bounded N. by Can-
ad a, and E. by Stewartstown, N.
H.; 31 miles N. from Guildhall,
and 112 N. E. from Montpelier.
First settled, 1785. Population,
1830, 373. The land id this town
is broken and cold. Leed’s pond
produces an abundance of fish.
Canaan produces more fish than
Litchfield co. First settled in
1738. Incorporated, 1739. Canaan
lies 41 miles N. W. from Hartford,
and 18 N. N. W. from Litchfield.
Population, 1830, 2,301. The town
lies on the E. side of Housatonick
river, opposite to Salisbury. A
ledge of limestone rocks crosses the
river at this place, about 30 rods in
length, causing a perpendicular fall
of 60 feet. The river is rapid, both
above and below this beautiful cata-
ract. The whole descent of the
river, in Canaan, is about 130 feet,
“ nobly arranged and distributed,
and comprehending a remarkable
variety of beauty and grandeur.”
The township is mountainous, with
some arable land along the streams.
About 4,000 sheep are kept here.
This section of country is noted for
its excellent mutton. Limestone
and iron ore are abundant; the lat-
ter is of a very fine quality. Iron
works, on an extensive scale, are
established here ; a satinet factory
and other machinery.
Canals in New England.
Candia, 3Y. H.,
Rockingham co., Was detached
from the N. part of Chester and in-
corporated, 1763. The soil is natu-
rally hard of cultivation; but the
industry of the inhabitants has made
it fruitful. It was originally cover-
ed with a thick growth of oak, ash,
maple, birch, &c. The site of this
town is elevated, and commands
an extensive view of the rich scene-
ry of the adjacent country—the