ney and Athens in 1794. The east-
erly part of the town is elevated
and unproductive. A deep valley
runs through the town, in which
is some good land.. Its principal
stream is Grassy brook, a branch of
West river. An extensive bed of
porcelain clay is found here. Pop-
ulation, 1830, 376. 35 miles S.
from Windsor, 10 N. E. from New-
fane, and 18 N. from Brattlebo-
Norfolk co. This delightful town
is connected with Boston by the
mill-dam across Charles river bay ;
one of the most beautiful aid ex-
pensive avenues leading to the city.
It is distant from Boston about 5
miles S. W., and from Dedham 5
miles N. N. E. Incorporated, 1705.
Population, 1837,1,083. This town
is remarkable for its varied surface,
high state of cultivation, elegant
country seats and gardens, excel-
lent roads, and for its rich and pic-
turesque scenery. Many gentle-
men of taste and fortune make this
Shire town of Windham co. This
town is finely watered by Quinne-
baug river, and Blackwell’s stream.
It was taken from Pomfret and Can-
terbury in 1786. The land is une-
ven, and somewhat stony; but the
soil is strong, producing in abund-
ance all the varieties common to
a fertile grazing country. This
town lies 30 miles E. from Hart-
ford, 44 W. from Providence, R. I.,
and about 20 N. by E. from Nor-
wich. Population, 1830, 1,451.—
Good landscapes are obtained from
the Gray Mare and Tetnuck hills.
Here is a cave called the Lion's
Dm, and a mineral spring of some
notoriety. The celebrated hero,
General Israel Putnam, lived many
years and died in this town. He
was born at Salem, Mass., Jan. 7,
1718. He died May 29, 1790.
Speaking of this brave man, Dr.
Dwight observes, “ During the gay-
est and most thoughtless periotd of
his life, he regarded religion with
profound reverence, and read the
scriptures with the greatest atten-
Waldo co. This town is 11 miles
N. N. W. from Belfast, and 45 N.
E. from Augusta. It produced in
1837,3,475 bushels of wheat. From
Paasaggassawakeag pond issues a
stream of the same name, which
passes into Belfast bay. First set-
tled, 1798. Incorporated, 1816.
Population, 1837, 800.
Hancock co. On the E. side of
Penobscot bay, opposite to Islesbo-
rough and Castine. It is bounded
on the N. by an arm of that bay,
and includes cape Rosico. This
town is well located for navigation
and the fisheries. It lies 80 miles E.
from Augusta, and about 25 S. E.
from Ellsworth. Population, 1837,
1,192. Incorporated, 1817.
Oxford co. Bounded E. hy Sacc
river, and contains several ponds
and streams; 81 miles S. E. from
Augusta, and 30 S. W. from Paris.
Incorporated, 1802. Population,
Orleans co. Willoughby river, a
branch of Barton river, furnishes
this town with a good mill stream.
It lies 45 miles N. N. E. from Mont-
pelier, and 57 N. E. from Burling-
ton. Chartered, 1790. Population,
1830, 412. It is divided from Iras-
burg, on the W., by Barton river.
In this town are about 1,500 sheep.
Piscataquis co. Bounded on the
N. and E. by Pleasant river, S. by
Williamsburgh, and W. by Vaug-