20 S. S. W. from Augusta. Popu-
lation, 1837, 2,173.
Lincoln co. A pleasant town
on the west side of Kennebec river,
and north of Topsham. Here is
considerable business in the lum-
ber trade and ship building. Twen-
ty miles S. by W. from Augusta,
and 12 N. from Bath. Population,
1837, 2,218. Incorporated, 1762.
Middlesex co. Incorporated,1783.
Population, 1837, 433. Some shoes,
palm-leaf hats and straw bonnets
are manufactured in this town, and
large quantities of hops are grown.
It lies 25 miles N. W. hy W. from
Boston, and 9 W. by N. from Con-
cord. Good lime-stone is found
Essex co. This town lies 26
miles N. from Boston, 13 S. W.
from TSTexyhiiryportUahcT"10 W. bv
N..Mrem Ipswich. The annual
amount of manufactures of cotton
wicking, boots, shoes and ploughs
is about $100,000. Population,
1837, 964. Incorporated, 1685.
Boy Is ton, Mass.
Worcester co. Tncorporated, 1786.
Population, 1837, 821. It lies 40
miles W. from Boston, and S N. by
E. from Worcester. Boylston is
watered by Nashua river, and has
iron ore and a ledge of crystalized
quartz. Here are some manufac-
tures of combs, palm-leaf hats,
hoots and - shoes ;—several ponds
and fine fish.
New London co. This town was
taken from Norwich in 1786. It
was formerly called New Concord.
It lies 33 miles E. S. E. from Hart-
ford, and 5 W. from Norwich. The
soil is a gravelly loam, rich and fer-
tile. It is watered by Y antic river,
on which are two pleasant and
flourishing villages, BozrahviUe
and Fitchville, at both of which
are manufactories for cotton.
This town experienced a terrible
hail storm on the 15th of July, 1799,
by which much property was lost
and many cattle injured. The hail
fell in immense quantities, some
particles of which measured six
inches in circumference. Popula-
tion, 1830, 1,073.
Penobscot co. This town lies
87 miles from Augusta. 4,944 bush-
els of wheat was raised here in
1837, with a population of 770.—
See Barnard, Me.
Bradford, N. H.
Merrimack co. Situated about mid-
way between the Merrimack and
Connecticut rivers, bounded N. by
Newbury and Sutton,E. by Warner,
S. by Henniker and Hillsboyough,
W. by Washington; is 31 miles from
Wmhersf, UlTTrom Concord, and 80
from Boston. This town is watered
by small streams, which principally
issue from ponds,—of which the
largest is Todd’s pond, lying in
Bradford and Ne wbury. This pond
is supplied with water from the
hills and mountains in Newbury.
In it are a number of floating
islands, which are deemed objects
of curiosity. Its outlet forms the
northern branch of Warner river.
Pleasant, or Bradford pond, is on
the E. side of the town. It is about
550 rods long and 150 wide. It
communicates with Warner river
by an outlet at the N. end of it.
In this pond are several islands,
which, with the rugged declivities
on the E. hank, the waters below,
and the cottages and cultivated
fields on the west hank, present to
view, in the summer season, a wild
and variegated landscape. Many
parts of Bradford are hilly. A large
proportion of the town, however,
lies in a vajley, about three miles