vessels navigating the Sound, and
passing round the Cape. The “ Pil-
grim Fathers” landed here, Nov.
11, 1620, and borrowed some corn
of the Mattacheeset Indians. The '
celebrated patriot, Janies Otis, was
born here, Feb. 5, 1725. He died
at Andover, May 23, 1783. The
manufacture of salt was commenced
here as early as 1779. It then sold
for $6 a bushel. There was made
27,125 bushels of salt in this town
in 1837. Between 50 and 60 sail of
fishing and coasting vessels belong
to this place: This town has nu-
merous ponds, a considerable water
power, some fine upland, and ex-
tensive salt marshes. The manu-
facture of vessels, salt, boots, shoes,
hats, leather, cabinet ware, chairs,
and wooden ware, amounted in one
year to $56,562. Pop. 1837, 4,017.
Barnstead, ST. H.
Strafford co. This town lies 26
miles W. by N. from Dover, 36 N.
W. from Portsmouth, and 20 N. E.
from Concord. Incorporated, 1767.
Population, 1830, 2,047. Barnstead
is not mountainous, but has large
swells of land, good for grazing.
About 2,500 sheep are kept here.
The soil is easy and productive.
There are several ponds in this town
—the largest are the two Suncook
ponds, which lie near each other,
Brindle pond, and Half-moon pond,
on Alton line. These waters are
stocked with fish, and are discharg-
ed into the Suncook. Barnstead
was granted May 20, 1727, to the
Rev. Joseph Adams and others.
Settlements commenced in 1767.
A pleasant and flourishing town
In Washington county, six miles
S. of Montpelier, and 48 N. by W.
of Windsor. This is considered
one of the best farming towns in
the state. Large quantities of pot
and pearl ashes, beef, pork, butter
and cheese, are annually taken from
this place to Boston market. About
7,000 sheep are kept here. It is
well watered by Stevens’ and Jail,
branches of Onion river, which afford
good mill privileges. Inexhausti-
ble quantities of granite are found
here, of the excellent quality with
witch the capitol at Montpelier is
built. This is a great thoroughfare
for travellers, particularly for large
teams from the north to Boston, by
the Gulf road. A large number of
these noted six and eight horse
teams are owned here. Barre was
first settled in 1788. Present pop-
ulation, about 2,500.
Worcester co. This excellent ag-
ricultural township is on high land,
and is well watered, particularly by
Ware river, on which are many
mills. The manufactures of Barre
for the year ending April 1, 1837,
amounted to about $365,000. The
articles manufactured were woollen
and cotton goods, ($161,600) copper
pumps, hoots, shoes, carriages,
leather, palm-leaf hats, ($167,200)
straw bonnets, axes, scythes, and
gunpowder. Large quantities of
beef, butter, cheese, &c., are an-
nually sent- from this town to Bos-
ton market. It was incorporated in
1774. Population, 1837,2,713. It
lies 65 miles W. by S. from Boston,
24 N. by W. from Worcester, and
15 N. E. from Ware. Barre took its
name in honor of Col. Barre, an el-
oquent friend of America in the
Barrington, I. H.
Strafford co. It lies 20 miles N.
W. from Portsmouth, 10 W. from
Dover, and 30 E. from Concord.
The surface of Barrington is some-
what broken and rocky, the soil be-
ing principally a gravelly loam.—
The town is abundantly supplied
with ponds, of which there are no
less than thirteen of considerable
magnitude, from whence issue
streams affording excellent mill
seats. At one of these mill seats,