with the flattering prospects of the
valley of the Penobscot, and with
pleasing anticipations of the pros-
perity of its city. See Register.
Washington co. This town is
bounded N. by the St. Croix river,
E. by Calais and Robinston, and W.
by a large and beautiful pond which
empties into the St. Croix. Incor-
porated, 1825. Population, 1837,
286. The railroad from Calais, 4
miles, will soon be completed to
this place. 209 miles N. E. by E.
Litchfield co. This town is wa-
tered by branches of Farmington
river. The soil is mdre particular-
ly adapted to grazing : considerable
beef and the products of the dairy
are sent to market. It is 26 miles
N. W.-fr^aaJHartford, and 20 N. N.
E. from Litchneiu. Population,
1830, 1,715. First settled, 1746.
Incorporated, 1779. Granite, iron
ore and limestone are found here.
The hilly part of the town presents
some fine scenery. Hitchcockville,
north of the centre of the town, is
a flourishing manufacturing village,
with great water privileges.
All the knowledge we can obtain
in regard to this town is, that it lies
in the county of Piscataquis, 108
miles from Augusta;—that in 1837,
there were 132 people in the town,
and that they raised 444 bushels of
wheat, the same year;—that this
town received $264 of the surplus
revenue that in 1837, Augustus
W. Walker and others, obtained an
act of the legislature for quarrying
slate, and that Stephen Palmer is,
or was, Postmaster.
Now, the good people of Barnard
are hereby respectfully requested
to give the editor their latitude and
longitude, and other necessary in-
formation for future editions. Cit-
izens of other towns, similarly sit-
uated, and of all toivns, who may
wish more full descriptions of their
resources, &c. than wre are able, at
present, to give, are also requested
to forward their communications.
Windsor co. First settled, 1774.
Incorporated, 1778. Population,
1830, 1,881. It is watered by
Broad Brook which empties into
White river in Sharon; and by Lo-
cust Creek, which also empties in-
to White river in Bethel. On this
Creek,during the revolutionary war,
there was erected a Fort, where
the militia of this and other towns
w;ere stationed as a defence against
Indian depredations—they having
surprised and carried to Canada a
number of its first settlers, in 1780.
In the centre of this town is the
village, and a beautiful pond, from
which issues a stream on which
there are mills. On this Creek is
an establishment for the manufac-
ture of starch from potatoes. This
stream joins its waters with the
Creek one mile from the pond. The
surface of this town is hilly. The
soil is well ad.apted to grazing; and
there are but few towns that turn
off yearly more cattle, butter and
cheese, sheep and wool. The num-
ber of sheep is about 6,000. It lies
10 miles north of Woodstock, and
40 miles south of Montpelier.
It is stated as a singular fact, that
the firing on Bunker Hill, on the
17th of June, 1775, was distinctly
heard in this town, 130 miles N.
W. from Charlestown.
Caledonia co. This town lies on
Connecticut river, at the 15 mile
falls, and opposite to Lyman, N. H.
It has a good soil, and is an excel-
lent farming town, with slate and
iron ore. It lies 35 miles E, from
Montpelier, 10 S. by E. from Dan-
ville, and 65 N. by E. from Wind-
sor. Population, in 1830, 1,764.-—