570 ROCKLAND COUNTY.
It contains 5 churches, a newspaper office, academy,1 paper mill, ship yard, foundery, and a silk
manufactory. Pop. about 1,700. Tompkins Cove, upon the Hudson, is a village grown up
around the extensive limeworks of C. Tompkins & Co. It contains a church, a private school
supported by tbe company, and 60 dwellings.2 Gar nerville, 2 mi. n. w. of Warren, contains
I church, the Rockland Print Works,3 and 40 dwellings. Nos'tli Haver straw, (p.v.,) upon
the Hudson, 3 mi. n. of Warren, contains 2 churches and 28 dwellings. Tliiells Corner, 4
mi. w. of Warren, contains a needle factory, 2 gristmills, a church, and 15 dwellings. Mont-
Ville, Caldwells Landing,1 and Grassy Point are hamlets. Fort Clinton, the ruin
of which are still visible, was situated upon the river, in the N. e. angle of the town. The
house in which Arnold and Andr6 met to consummate the bargain for the delivery of West Point
to the British is still standing, about halfway between Warren and North Haverstraw. There are
II churches in town.5
ORAliGETOWBi—was formed March 7, 1788, and was named from Orange co., of which it
then formed a part. It lies upon the Hudson, in the s. angle of the co. Its surface is broken by
abrupt and rocky hills in the e. ; hut in the center and w. it spreads out into a rolling or moderately
hilly region. The Nyack Hills, extending along the river, are 300 to 500 feet high, with steep,
rocky declivities upon the E., but more gradual slopes upon the w.2 Their summits are rocky and
covered with alight growth of forest trees. Snake Hill, in the n. e. corner, upon the line of Clarks-
town, is one of the principal peaks. The principal stream is Hackensack River, flowing s. through
the w. part. Pascack Creek flows through the extreme w. angle, and Spar Kil is a tributary
of the Hudson. Near the sr. line are several hog or peat meadows, generally well drained
and under cultivation. The red sandstone which crops out on the e. declivities of the hills, within
a few rods of the river, between Piermont and Nyack, is extensively quarried and exported for
building stone.3 The soil is a reddish, sandy loam intermixed with clay. Fruit growing and
furnishing milk for the New York market have become leading pursuits. NTyacli, (p.v.,) upon
the Hudson, in the n. e. corner of the town, contains 5 churches, 5 shoe manufactories,4 a steam
tub and pail factory,9 the Rockland Female Institute,10 and a private academy.5 Pop. 1,458.
Piermont,12 (p.v.,) upon the Hudson, in the s. part, was incorp. May 21, 1850. It is the E.
terminus of the Piermont Branch of the N. Y. & Erie R. R.,—the one over which the freight is
carried. Nearly the whole business of the place is connected with the r. r. establishment. A pier
1 mi. long has been built into the river, where the freight is transferred to and from the ears and
barges in the river. Upon each end of the pier are extensive offices for the transaction of the busi¬
ness of the road. At this place the r. r. co. also have a large iron foundery and extensive repair
shops. Pop. 2,204. Tappantown,13 (p. v.,) near the N. J. line, contains 2 churches and 30
dwellings. This place was the scene of the trial of Andre, and for a time in 1780 was the head¬
quarters of Gen. Washington.6 Kocliland, (Palisades p.o.,) upon the Hudson, in the s. part
10 This institution is beautifully located upon a lot of 10 acres,
upon the hank of the Hudson, in the s. part of the village. It
is supplied -with pure spring water from the mountain, is heated
with furnaces and lighted with gas. It has accommodations
for 100 boarding pupils. The institution owes its origin to the
late Simon V. Sickles, of Nyack, who gave $25,000 toward the
erection of the building.
11 The Nyack Classical School and Commercial Academy, in¬
tended to prepare young men for college and commercial • pur¬
suits, has recently been established.
12 Name derived from the Pto’ built by the R.R. company and
the mountain in rear of the village.
18 According to Heckewelder, Tappan is from the language of
the Delawares, and derived from Thuphane or Tuph&nne, “Cold
Stream.”—Moulton and Yates’s Hist. JY. Y.
1* The house occupied hy Gen. Washington, still standing, is
owned and occupied by Dr. Smith. It is a stone house, and is
said to have been erected in 1700. The house in which Andr6
was confined during his trial is now kept as a tavern, under the
name of “The Old ’76 House.” The trial was held in the old
Ref. Prot. D. Church. The scene of AndrS’s execution and
burial was upon an eminence J mi. w. of the village, and about
20 rods from the N. J. line. In Aug. 1831, his remains were
disinterred, under the superintendence of Mr. Buchanan, British
Consul at New York, and taken to England. A small cedar tree
that stood hy the grave was also taken away, and a box was
afterward made from its wood, lined with gold, and sent to Eev.
Mr. Demarest, of Tappan town, in acknowledgment of the ser¬
vices rendered by him at the disinterment. On the box was the
following inscription:—“Prom his Royal Highness the Duke of
York to the Rev. Mr. Demarest.” No monument now remains
to mark the spot of the execution or the grave. A boulder was
formerly placed to mark the spot; but this has been broken up
The Haverstraw Mountain Institute, a private institution,
was established in 1853. It employs 2 teachers, and has an
average of 40 pupils.
immense sums Were expended in this insane project,—which, it
is needless to add, resulted in nothing but a total loss to all
concerned. 5 4 M. E., 3 Presb., 2 Prot. E., Af. Meth., and R. C.
The valley of Spar Kil forms a break in these hills,
through which the Piermont Branch of the Erie R. R. is con¬
structed. In the hill just n. of Piermont is an opening in the
rocks, supposed by some to be the shaft of an ancient mine and
by others to he a natural cave. It is divided into 2 passages,
one extending 70 feet w. s. w. and the other 40 to 50 feet w. by
N. The passage is very irregular, 4 to 6 feet in width and 3 to
t The State House at Albany was built of this stone.
8 This factory employs 30 hands, and produces $60,000 worth
jf goods annually.