Statistics and Gazetteer of New-Hampshire, 1875 page 264
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.



First Organization. Mount Ver-
non was originally a part of Am-,
herst, from which it was disan-
nexed, and incorporated, Decem-
ber 15, 1813.

First Church. The Congrega-
tional Church was organized here
in 1780.

Boundaries. North by New-
Boston, east by Amherst, south by
Amherst and Milford, and west by
Lyndeborough. Area, 7,957 acres,
improved land, 6,942 acres.

Distances Twenty-eight miles
south from Concord, and three
north-west from Amherst.

Railroads. It is four and one-
half miles to Milford station, on
the Wilton railroad.


Hillsborough County. Nash-
ua (a city) and part shire town of
the county, is one of the most im-
portant cities in the State, being
the second in the value of its manu-
factories, the third in population,
and fourth in wealth. It presents
a very even sm-faee in the eastern
portion, while the western part is
more broken, but not mountain-
ous. The soil is varied and easy
of cultivation, and produces good
crops, especially along the banks
of the rivers.

Rivers. It is well watered by
fivers and smaller streams. The
Merrimack washes its eastern bor-
der, and the Nashua River, having
its source in Massachusetts, flows
in a north-easterly direction
through the city, and joins the
Merrimack near the principal set-
tlement. This river near its
mouth furnishes some excellent
water power, which is occupied by
large Cotton Manufactories. The
river was named for a tribe of In-
dians called the “Nashaway,’
who had their headquarters on its
banks, in the present town of Lan-
caster, Massachusetts. It was a
great resort for them near the
Falls in Nashua for fishing, and,
above and below its mouth, on the
Merrimack, for cultivation. Sal-
mon Brook is a considerable
stream, flowing from Massa-
chusetts, and joins the Merrimack
here. There is some water pow-
er, which is improved.

This city is noted for its exten-
sive Iron Mills and Cotton Manu-
factories and the enterprising and
public spirit of its inhabitants. It
is one of the largest railroad cen-
tres in the State. No less than six
railroads have their termini here;
viz. Boston, Lowell and Nashua,
Worcester and Nashua, Nashua
and Acton, Nashua and Wilton,
Concord and Nashua and Roches-
ter Railroads. These various
roads lead to all sections of the
country, north, east, south, and

It has many fine streets, beauti-
fully shaded, and many of the pri-
vate residences are fine structures
and compare favorably with those'
of any city or town in the State.
Some of the business blocks are
large and very expensive; a num-
ber of which have been built with-
in a few years. The City Hall is
a fine brick building, having a
dome surmounted by a large
gilt eagle. The mercantile houses
are principally located on two
streets, and contain about one
hundred and twenty-five stores
and shops for trade of various
kinds—many of them being large,
with goods finely displayed. There
are eleven church edifices, twenty-
eight schools, three hotels, seven


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2