The Statistics and Gazetteer of New-Hampshire, Seventh
Edition, Compiled by Alonzo J. Fogg. Concord, N.H.: D.L.
necticut river. Area, 25,000 acres;
improved land, 14,870.
Distances. One hundred and sev-
enty miles north from Concord and
thirty-four north from Lancaster.
Railroads. Thirteen miles by
daily stage to North Stratford sta-
tion, on the Grand Trunk Railroad.
It is expected that the Montreal ex-
tension Railroad will pass through
Colebrook in a short time.
Coos County. The surface of
this town is uneven, and broken by
mountains along its southern lim-
its. The soil is generally strong
and productive. In the spring
large quantities of maple sugar are
Streams and Ponds. From the
mountains descend a number of
streams in a westerly direction in-
to the Connecticut, affording many
excellent water privileges. There
are several ponds, the most noted
of which is Lime Pond, situated
near the line between this town
and Colebrook. It is about one
hundred and sixty rods long and
fifty rods wide. The bottom is
covered to the depth of near-
ly six feet with perfectly white
calcarious marl, which is formed
by the shells of the cyclas and plan-
orbis species, of which myriads
are still living in the waters of the
pond, and are generally found col-
lected under loose stones. Fish
Pond is well stored with trout of
laige size. Lime-stone, in con-
siderable quantities, is found near
the outlet of this pond.
Employments. Farming is the
principal occupation of the people.
There is some manufacturing car-
ried on. One hundred tons of
starch are annually made, and
considerable lumbering is done.
Resources. Productions of the
soil, $115,400; mechanical labor,
$3,400; money at interest, $5,872;
deposits in savings banks, $10;
stock in trade, $2,500.
Chui'ches and Schools. There ar^
two churches, no regular pastors,
and ten schools; average length of
schools for the year, nineteen
Hotel. Columbia House.
First Settlement. In 1770 this
town was granted and named
Cockburne in honor of Sir James
Cockburn, one of the grantees.
Incorporated December 16, 1797;
received its present name in June,
Boundaries. North by Colebrook,
east by Dixville and ungranted
lands, south by ungranted lands
and Stratford, and west by Ver-
mont. Area, 37,822 acres; im-
proved land, 9,823 acres. A large
portion of the rest of the territory
consists of large tracts of heavy
wood and timber land.
Distances. One hundred and six-
ty-six miles north from Concord
and thirty north from Lancaster.
Railroads. By daily stage to and
from North Stratford station,
twelve miles, on the Grand Trunk
Railroad. The Boston, Concord
and Montreal Railroad, when com-
pleted, will pass through this town.
Merrimack County. Concord
(a city) is the capital of New-
Hampshire and shire town of the
county. The surface is uneven,
though it presents none of the ab-
rupt acclivities, or deep valleys,
common in many New-IIampshire
towns. It is well watered by four
rivers, two of which are of consid-