Statistics and Gazetteer of New-Hampshire, 1875 page 100
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.



Soldiers. Claremont did its full
share in putting down the rebellion
of 1861. The whole number of
volunteers from the town, during
the four years of the war, was 370;
drafted men, 5; drafted men who
furnished substitutes, 74. Total,
449. Killed in battle, 33; died of
wounds, 14; died of disease, 20.
Total, 67. The quota required to
be sent from each town in the State
under all calls for troops, from Ju-
ly, 1863, was proportioned to the
enrolled militia. Claremont’s quo-
ta was set down at 177, and she fur-
nished 206 recruits, being an ex-
cess of 29 over the number she was
required to furnish.

First Settlement. The first set-
tlement was made in 1762, by Mo-
ses Spafford and David Lynde, and
a charter was granted Oct. 26,1764,
to Josiah Willard, Samuel Ashley
and sixty-seven others. It received
its name from the country seat of
Lord Clive, a distinguished Eng-
lish general, who then had charge
of the British forces in the East
Indies. The first white native of
Claremont was Elijah, son of Mo-
ses Spafford, born in 1763. The
first settled minister of the town
was Rev. George Wheaton, of the
Congregational faith, who was or-
dained Feb. 19,1772. The first min-
ister of the Episcopal Church was
Rev. Ranna Cossitt, who took holy
orders in England in 1772, and in
the following year entered upon the
duties of his holy office. The Bap-
tist society was formed in 1785, the
Methodist in 1809, and the Univer-
salist in 1826. .


Coos County. This town is in the
northern part of Coos county. The
surface is broken and hilly, but the
soil, in many portions, is good for
grass, oats and potatoes. Forty-
two tons of starch and 11,500
pounds of maple sugar are annual-
ly manufactured.

Ponds and Streams. Clarksville
Pond containing about two hundred
acres, and Carr Pond about thirty,
are the principal ponds in town
There are several small tributaries
to the Connecticut.

Resources. Annual productions
of the soil, S 32,248; mechanical
labor, $ 600; money at interest and
stock in the public funds, $ 5,200.

Schools. There are four schools
in town; average length for the
year, eleven weeks. Town incor-
porated in 1853.

Boundaries. North by Pitts-
burg, east by Gilmanton and
Grant, south by Stewartstown, and
west by Canaan and Hall’s stream,
Vt. Area, 40,900 acres.

Railroads. By stage from Cole-
brook to North Stratford station
on the Grand Trunk railroad,
about twenty-five miles.

Distances. One hundred and
seventy-five miles north from Con-
cord, forty-five north from Lancas-
ter, and eleven north from Cole-


Coos County. Colebrook is one
of the most enterprising towns in
Northern New-Hampshire. With-
in the past twenty years it has
nearly doubled its population and
trebled its valuation. It is the shire
town for the Northern Judicial
District of Coos County. The soil
in this town is rich and easily cul-
tivated. Fine intervals of consid-
erable extent stretch along the Con-
necticut ; and the uplands are fer-
tile, producing good crops. The


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2