Statistics and Gazetteer of New-Hampshire, 1875 page 94
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.



The Statistics and Gazetteer of New-Hampshire, Seventh
Edition, Compiled by Alonzo J. Fogg. Concord, N.H. :    D.L.

portion was cut off, and incorpora-
ted under the name of Raymond.
In 1822, a portion of Hooksett was
taken from Chester. In 1845, that
portion of the town known as Long
Meadows, was incorporated under
the name of Auburn. Several
garrison houses were kept in town
until 1749, to guard against Indian
depredations. In June, 1724, they
took Thomas Smith and John Carr
prisoners, but they soon made their
escape, and arrived safe at a gar-
rison in Londonderry, in three days
after they were captured.

First Ministers. Rev. Moses
Hale (Presbyterian,) settled in
1730, removed in 1734; Rev. John
Wilson, settled in 1734, died in
1779. In 1740, a Congregational
church was incorporated, and the
Rev. Ebenezer Flagg was the first
minister; he died in 1796. Rev.
Nathan Bradstreet, was his suc-
cessor, and so continued until 1818.

Boundaries. North by Candia
and Raymond, east by Fremont,
south by Sandown and Derry, and
west by Auburn.

Distances. Seventeen miles
west from Exeter, and twenty-
three south-east from Concord.

Railroads. Six miles to Derry
station on Manchester and Law-
rence Railroad, six miles to Hamp-
stead on Nashua and Rochester
R. R.


Cheshire County. The western
border of this town is washed by
the Connecticut river for a distance
of six miles. Nearly the whole
space, the hills rise abruptly from
the river-side, affording but very
little interval land. But it is con-
sidered one of the best farming
towns in the county, the uplands
being well adapted to grazing,
and the production of corn, oats,
barley and potatoes. It has the
reputation of producing more fruit
than any town in the county.

Ponds and Streams. Spaff'ord’s
Lake is a beautiful sheet of water
situated in the north part of the
town. Its waters are remarkably
clear and pure, its bed being a
white sand. There is a beautiful
island in the lake, of an area of
six acres, affording a delightful
retreat. On its east side issues a
stream, called Patridge’s Brook,
sufficiently large for a number of
manufactories. Cat's Bane Brook
furnishes many good mill sites.

Mountain. West River Mountain
(Wantastiquel) lies partly in this
town and partly in Hinsdale. It
is supposed to have been once sub-
ject to a volcanic eruption. Lava
in considerable quantities, can
now be found near the (supposed)
crater. A trembling motion is often
felt, and a deep rumbling is heard
in the mountain, by those living
near its base. The first settlers,
believing the crater bed to be a
silver mine, made an excavation
of nearly one hundred feet, prin-
cipally through a solid rock.

Villages. Chesterfield has three
villages very plasantly situated in
different sections of the town. At
the center there is an academy,
which was opened in 1794. Fac-
tory village is a busy place. There
is one store, one hotel, one tan-
nery, two saw mills and one large
bit and auger manufactory.

Employments. The larger por-
tion of the people are engaged in
farming; but there is considera-
ble manufacturing done in the
town. The capital invested in
manufactories, is over $ 40,000,


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2