ished by sucking pieces of its flesh.
When they arrived at Montreal,
Johnson obtained a parole to re-
turn and solicit funds for the re-
demption of his family and him-
self. He applied to the assembly
of Xe w-IIampshire, and at length
secured £150 sterling; but the sea-
son was so far advanced that he
did not return to Canada until
spring opened. He was then
charged with having broken his
parole, a great part of his money
taken from him by violence; and
he was shut up with his family in a
prison, where they took the small-
pox ; but fortunately they all sur-
vived. After eighteen months, Mrs.
Johnson, with her sister and two
daughters, were sent in a cartel
ship to England, and thence re-
turned to Boston.
Johnson was still retained in
prison for three years, and then,
with his son, returned and found
his wife in Boston. His eldest
daughter was retained in a nunne-
ry in Canada. The daughter born
on the journey, as related, after-
wards married Colonel George
Kimball. In 1756, Lieutenant Mo-
ses Willard, the father of Mrs.
Johnson, was killed. He was at
work in sight of the fort with his
son Moses. The Indians, having
dispatched liis father, pursued the
son, and wounded him with a spear.
He however made his escape, drag-
ging the spear with him to the fort.
In 1757 the Indians again burned
the mills which had been rebuilt,
and took Sampson Colfax, David
Farnsworth and Thomas Adams
prisoners. In 1758 Ashael Steb-
bins was killed; and his wife, Is-
aac Parker and a soldier were cap-
tured. In September, 1760, Jo-
seph Willard, his wife and child-
ren were taken prisoners. After
they had proceeded on their j ourney
a few miles, the Indians, finding
that the infant child gave signs of
uneasiness, and fearing that it
might impede their progress, took
it aside and beat out its brains.
This, it is believed, was among the
last depredations committed by
the Indians in New England. The
prisoners taken from Charlestown
were all conveyed to Canada, by
way of Lake Champlain, and sold
to the French. Nearly all were
sooner or later redeemed by gov-
ernment or by tbeir friends.
Charlestown originally included
part of Langdon, and was incor-
porated July 2, 1753.
First Ministers. Rev. John
Dennis, who, on account of the In-
dian war, was ordained in North-
field, December 4, 1754; dismissed
in 1756. Rev. Burkley Olcott, or-
dained May 28, 1761; died June
26, 1792. Rev. Daniel Foster acted
as pastor from 1796 to 1809. Rev.
Jaaraniah Crosby ordained Octo-
ber 17, 1810.
Boundaries. North by Clare-
mont, east by Unity, Acworth and
Langdon, south by Langdon and
Walpole, and west by Springfield
and Rockingham, Vermont. Area,
21,400 acres; area of improved
land, 15,654 acres.
Distances. Fifty - one miles
west from Concord, and twenty
miles south-west by railroad from
Railroads. Sullivan Railroad
passes through the western border
of this town.
Carroli. County. The surface
of this town is broken and moun-
tainous and three-fourths of tiliC