it from Boscawen, and north by
Northfield. Area, 26,345 acres.
The Statistics and Gazetteer of New-Hampshire, Seventh
Edition, Compiled by Alonzo J. Fogg. Concord, N.H.: D.L.
86 NEW-HAMPSHIRE GAZETTEER.
Distances. Eight miles north
from Concord. Railroad, Boston,
Concord and Montreal.
COOS CountY. This town lies
at the north-western base of the
White Mountains. Its surface pre-
sents a rugged and mountainous
appearance, and the scenery is
wild and romantic. The soil in
some parts is strong, deep and pro-
ductive ; but the larger portion of
the town still remains a dense for-
est of maple, pine, hemlock and
spruce. Large tracts of this timber
land are owned by Messrs. A. L. &
W. G. Brown & Co., engaged in
the lumber business, at Whitefield.
Mountains and Rivers. Pondi-
cherry Mountain is situated in the
north part, between this town and
Jefferson, and is of considerable
Johns and Israels rivers, have
their rise, in part, in this town;
and the head waters of the Am-
monoosuc from the neighboring
mountains, unite and also pass
Summer Resorts. The wild, pic-
turesque, and romantic scenery,
which surrounds this town on every
side, has caused it to become a
popular resort for tourists. A
branch of the Montreal railroad,
called the Wing road starts
from Bethlehem and now (1873)
extends six miles to the Twin
Mountain, which is eleven miles
from the base of Mount Washing-
ton. This road will be extended
towards Mount Washington next
year. For the accommodation of
travellers, there are now three
large hotels, viz., Twin Mountain
House, White Mountain House,
and Fabyan. This house has been
erected upon the ashes of the old
Fabyan House, and was opened for
travellers the present season (1873).
It is large and commodious, and
no doubt will meet with success.
These three houses will accommo-
date. over seven hundred guests at
one time. The people are largely
engaged in hotel and lumber busi-
ness, although in proportion to the
number of inhabitants, farming is
not neglected, compared with the
towns in the county. Lumber to
the value of $ 42,400 is annually
sawed; and 100 tons starch, valued
at $ 8,200 is made.
Resources. Productions of the
soil, $ 35,997; mechanical labor,
$ 13,500; deposits in savings banks,
$ 80; from summer tourists, $ 50,
000; stock in trade, $ 12,357.
Churches and Schools. Baptist,
Royal Berry, pastor. There are four
schools in town, average length
for the year, twenty-one weeks.
First Settlements. Carroll was
originally named Britton Woods
and was granted to Sir Thomas
Wentworth, Rev. Samuel Langdon
and eighty-one others in 1772. It
was incorporated, under its present
name, June 22, 1832.
Boundaries. North by Jeffer-
son, east by the White Mountain
territory, south by ungranted land
and west by Bethlehem and White-
field. Area 24,640 acres; area of
improved land, 2,915 acres.
Distances. About one hundred
and twenty miles north from Con-
cord, and eighteen south-east from
Railroads. Wing Railroad, a
branch of the Montreal, extends
into this town. Also Browns
lumber railroad, from Whitefield.