W. Norris, pastor; number of
members, 306; church valuation,
$ 18,000; Freewill Baptist, Rev. G.
J. Abbott, pastor; members 90;
church valuation, $ 10,000. There
are nine school districts and twelve
schools in town; average length
of schools for the year, twenty
weeks; amount of money annual-
ly appropriated for school pur-
poses, $ 1798.33. In Bristol village
there is a graded school with a
building costing $ 12,000. There
are four school teachers and two
hundred and twenty-five scholars
in this building.
Libraries. Rev. Silas Ketcham
(private), 4,000 books and 2,000
pamphlets; F. H. Bartlett, 900 vol-
Hotel. Bristol House, valued at
Bank. Bristol Savings Bank.
First Settlements. Bristol was
taken from Bridgewater and New
Chester (now Hill) and Incorpor-
ated June 24, 1819. Colonel Peter
Sleeper, Benjamin Emmons and
others commenced a settlement
here in 1770.
First Church. A Methodist so-
ciety was incorporated and a
church organized in June, 1818.
Boundaries. North by Bridge-
water, east by Pemigewasset Riv-
er, which separates it from New-
Hampton, south, by Hill and west
by Alexandria Area 9,000 acres,
area of improved land, 8,067 acres.
Instances. Thirty miles north
from Concord, and sixteen south
Railroads. Bristol Branch of
the Northern railroad has its ter-
minus here. New-Hampshire Cen-
tral railroad, when built, will pass
CARROLL COUNTY. The soil of
this town is deep and fertile, and
produces full crops of corn, hay,
&c., when properly cultivated.
Rivers and Ponds. A branch of
Salmon Falls River has its source
in Cooks Pond. On this stream
are several valuable water priv-
ileges which are unoccupied.
Cooks Pond is the largest body of
water in town, and is the only
pond of note, excepting a small
pond, covering about fifteen acres,
situated directly on the top of
Employments. Agriculture is the
chief employment of the people..
600,000 feet of lumber is annually
Resources. Productions of the
soil, $37,057; mechanical labor,
$3,000; stocks and money at in-
terest, $4,740; stock in trade, $2,
400; deposits in savings bank,
Churches and, Schools. Freewill
Baptist, Methodist and Advent
denominations. There are seven
school districts and five schools.
Average length of schools for the
year, fourteen weeks.
First Organization. Brookfield
was originally a part of Middleton,
from which it was taken and in-
corporated in 1794. Nicholas Aus-
tin first settled here a few years
before the town was incorporated.
Boundaries. North by Wolfe-
borough and Wakefield, east by
Wakefield, south by Middleton,
and west by Durham and Wolfe-
Distances. Forty-five miles
north-east from Concord.
Railroad. The Wolfeborough
Branch Railroad passes through