town. There are several floating
islands in this pond, which are
considered objects of curiosity.
Its outlet forms the northern
Branch of Warner River. Pleas-
ant, or Bradford Pond, lies in the
east part. This Pond is studded
with numerous small islands,
which with the rugged descent of
the eastern bank, and the dwel-
lings and varigated fields on the
western shore, present, in the
summer season, a wild and charm-
ing scenery. Warner River is the
principal stream, and affords many
excellent mill privileges.
The Statistics and Gazetteer of New-Hampshire, Seventh
Edition, Compiled by Alonzo J. Fogg. Concord, N.H.: D.L.
Employments. Farming is the
principal employment of the peo-
ple. 970,000 feet of boards, &c.,
and 130,000 shingles are annually
produced. 6,500 pounds of maple
sugar is annually manufactured.
Resources. Agricultural pro-
ducts, $106,484; mechanical labor,
$9,000; stocks, and .money at in-
terest, $27,180; deposits in savings
banks, $59,869; stock in trade,
$21,200; from Summer tourists,
$6,000; professional business, $15,
Churches and Schools. Baptist,
Rev. E. Pepper, pastor; Congre-
gational, no pastor. There are
twelve school districts and thir-
teen schools in town. Average
length of schools for the year, six-
Library. The Bradford Social
Library has just commenced op-
Hotels. Preshy House, at Brad-
ford village, Spring Hotel, at Brad-
First Settlement. Bradford was
first settled in 1771, by Dea. Wil-
liam Presbury and family, consist-
ing of his wife and ten children.
It was incorporated September 27,
1787, and included a part of Wash-
First Minister. The Congrega-
tional Church was organized in
1803. Rev. Lemuel Bliss, first
minister, ordained in March, 1805,
died in 1814.
Boundaries. Bounded north by
Newbury and Sutton, east by War-
ner, south by Ilenniker and Hills-
borough, and West by Washing-
ton. Area, 19,000 acres.
Distances. Twenty-eight miles
north from Concord; thirty-four
north-westerly from Amherst.
Railroads. Bradford is situ-
ated on the Concord & Clare-
mont Railroad. Daily stages be-
tween Bradford, Sutton, and New
London, connect with trains to
and from Boston.
Rockingham County. The
surface of this town is not rough,
neither is it very level. Much of
the soil is of a good quality and
well adapted to grass and grain.
There are many fine farms under a
high state of cultivation, producing
excellent crops of corn and other
farm produce, which finds a good
market at Exeter or Epping. The
county farm is located here, which
proves that the land in Brentwood
is of a superior quality, and can be
obtained at market rates.
Streams. Exeter River flows
through the entire length on the
southerly side of the town. Little
River and Deer Hill River run
within the limits of this town.
The water power is considerable
and is generally impi'oved. At
Pickpocket there is a paper mill,
saw mill and grist mill.
Minerals, Iron ore has in con-