Statistics and Gazetteer of New-Hampshire, 1875 page 65
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.



duced, and 66,000 dozen pairs of
womens’ cotton hose are annually

Resources. Productions of the
soil, $165,980; mechanical labor,
$48,400; stocks and money at in-
terest, $22,400; deposits in savings
banks, $92,470; stock in trade, $6,
812; from summer tourists, $10,000.

Churches and Schools. 1st Free-
will Baptist Church, Rev. J. L.
Sinclair, pastor; 2d Freewill Bap-
tist Church, Rev. J. Davis Pastor;
Christian Church, Rev. A. Kidder,
pastor. There are twelve school
districts in this town, and fourteen
schools. Average length of schools
for the year, sixteen weeks.

Hotels. Belmont House; Ameri-
can House.

First Organization. This town
was disannexed from Gilmanton,
June 28, 1859, and called Upper
Gilmanton, but was changed to
Belmont in July, 1869. For first
settlers see Gilmanton.

Boundaries. North-east by Gil-
ford, south-east by Gilmanton,
south-west by Canterbury and
Northfield, and north-west by
Winnepiseogee River and Lake
Winnesquame. Area of im-
proved land, 10,625 acres.

Distances. Twenty-four miles
north from Concord, and four
south from Gilford.

Railroads. Boston, Concord and
Montreal Railroad passes through
the north-western section of this
town. By daily stage to Tilton
Station, six miles. The Franklin
and Rochester Railroad will pass
through here when completed.


IIillsbokough Co. The sur-
face of this town is uneven, but
the soil is productive when proper-

ly cultivated. Bennington is a
small township taken from Peer-
ing, Francestown, Greenfield and
Hancock, in 1842.

Rivers. Contoocook River pass-
es through this town and affords
good water power which is gener-
ally improved.

Employments. The inhabitants
are largely engaged in manufac-
turing. The manufactory of cut-
lery is very extensive; over 450
tons of paper are annually produc-
ed ; and 450,000 feet of lumber an-
nually sawed; besides powder,
barrels, kits, &c., are made. Ben-
nington Village is a busy and en-
ergetic place for business. The
annual value of manufactured
goods produced in town is $161,-
500. (See tables.)

Resources. Productions of the
soil, $21,487; mechanical labor,
$29,400; stocks, &c., and money
at interest, $15,850; deposits in
savings banks, $30,294; stock in
trade, $22,450.

Churches and Schools. Congre-
gational, Rev. James Holmes pas-
tor. There are five schools in
town. Average length of schools
for the year, sixteen weeks. In
the summer of 1871 a graded
school building was erected at an
expense of $3,800. It is worthy of
notice that after the first term of
eleven weeks, with eighty scholars
in both departments, not a single
scratch upon the desks, nor a single
mark upon the walls of the school
room could be discovered.

Library. Bennington Social Li-
brary—400 vols.

Hotel. Washington House.

Boundaries. North by Deering,
east by Francestown, south by
Francestown and Greenfield, and
west by Hancock and Antrim.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2