Statistics and Gazetteer of New-Hampshire, 1875 page 62
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.



Hotels. Bartlett House, East
Branch House and Pequawkett

First Organization. This town
was incorporated June 16, 1790,
and received its name in honor of
Governor Josiali Bartlett.

Boundaries. North by Jackson,
east by Chatham, south and west
by ungranted lands. Area 13,000
acres; area of improved lands,
5,482 acres.

Distances. Seventy-five miles-
north-east from Concord and about
twenty-five miles north from Os-

Railroad. Portland and Ogdens-
burg railroad passes through the


Grafton Co. This town is
pleasantly situated in the val-
ley of the Connecticut. The
high mountains around complete-
ly shield it from high winds and
long storms. About one sixth
part of the whole town is interval.
On the hills the soil is generally
of a reddish loam. Much improve-
ment has been made in agricul-
ture, and it is now considered one
of the best farming towns in the
State. Large quantities of wheat,
corn, oats and barley are annu-
ally raised.

Rivers and Mountains. The
Amrnonusuc River passes through
the southerly part, and furnishes
some fine water power. At Bath
village a fine bridge spans the riv-
er, 372 feet in length. Wild Am-
monusuc River unites with the
Ammonusuc, in this town at the
south-west corner. Gardner’s
Mountain rises from the conflu-
ence of the Connecticut and Am-
monusuc rivers, and extends in a

northerly direction through the
town, thus separating the inhabi-
tants, who find a communication
only through a single pass in the

Minerals. In several localities
large veins of copper ore have been
opened, which appear to be of
much value, if properly worked.

Employments. The inhabitants
are generally engaged in farming.
200 tons of starch and 23,000 pounds
of maple sugar are annually man-
ufactured. A disastrous fire oc-
curred in Bath village, February 1,

1872, destroying the Congregation-
al church edifice, Bath Hotel and
several dwelling houses, none of
which have been rebuilt.* A mill
for the manufacture of wood pa-
per has recently commenced op-

Resources. Productions of the
soil, $ 157,838; mechanical labor,
$ 9,500; stocks &c., $ 32,500; mon-
ey at interest, $ 28,000; deposits in
savings hanks, $2,875; stock in
trade, $ 14,250; from summer tour-
ists, $ 600.

Churches and Schools. Congre-
gational, Rev. Edward Cleveland,
pastor; Catholic, no pastor; Un-
ion church, at Swiftwater village,
Rev. Arnold Adams, pastor. There
are twelve school districts and
thirteen schools in town; averag
length of schools for the year,
twenty-four weeks.

First Settlements. September 10,
1761, Bath was granted to Rev.
Andrew Gardner and sixty-one
others. The conditions of the
charter were not complied with,
and, in March 1769, it was rechart-
ered to John Sawyer and others.
John Herrimen from Haverhill,

* The Church was rebuilt in the season of



This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2