Statistics and Gazetteer of New-Hampshire, 1875 page 58
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.



on the Boston, Concord and Mon-
treal Railroad is situated the busy
manufacturing village of Ashland.
The business, for the size of the
village, is very extensive. There
are several large paper mills, two
hose manufactories, woolen mill,
lumber and grist mill, straw board
mill, leather board mill, large peg
mill, glove and mitten manufacto-
ries, boots and shoes, besides many
other small mechanical shops.
There are also two church edifices,
school-houses, bank, eight or ten
stores of all kinds, hotel, livery
stable, express office, telegraph
office, insurance, lawyer and phy-
sician’s offices, and nearly one
hundred dwelling houses. The
scenery around Ashland is delight-
ful, affording views wild, roman-
tic and beautiful.

Employments. . Manufacturing
and trade are the principal em-
ployments of the inhabitants.
Over 600,000 yards flannel, 1,200
tons manilla paper, 140 tons leath-
er board, 50,000 dozens cotton and
woolen hose, 175,000 shingles, 600,
000 feet boards, &c., 20,000 bush-
els shoe pegs, besides buck gloves
and mittens, tin ware and other
small manufactories. The total
value of manufactured goods of
all kinds, annually produced, is
about $646,600. (See table.)

Resources. Productions of the
soil, $48,364; mechanical labor,
$110,100;    money    at interest,

$28,870;    deposits    in savings

bank, $ 59,820; stock in trade,
$ 44,420.

Churches and Schools. Freewill
Baptist, Rev. L. Malvern, pastor,
church value, $6,000; Episcopal,
J. LeRoy, pastor, value church,
$ 4,000. There are six school dis-
tricts and eight schools in town,

average length of schools for the
year, seventeen weeks.


Library. Ashland Town Li-

Bank. Ashland Savings Bank,
(see table.)

Hotel. “ Squam Lake House.”

First Organization. Ashland
was originally a part of Holdern-
ess, and was incorporated July 1,

Boundaries. North by Plymouth
and Holderness, east by Holder-
ness, south by New Hampton, and
west by Bridgewater and Holder-
ness. Area of improved land,
3,853 acres.

Distances. Forty-four miles
north from Concord, and six west
from Plymouth.

Railroads. The Boston, Concord
and Montreal railroad passes
through the southern section of
this town.


Rockingham Co. Was origin-
ally that part of Chester called
“Long Meadow.” It was incor-
porated June 25, 1845.

The surface is broken, but the
soil is strong and produces good
crops of corn, oats and potatoes.

Lakes and Streams. Massabesic
Lake is the largest body of fresh
water in the county, comprising
an area of about fifteen hundred
acres. It is about six miles long,
and from two to four hundred rods
in breadth. Near the centre of
the length, the Lake is nearly
divided into two parts, but is
connected together by a strait,
some two hundred rods in length.
There are no large streams in
town, but there are some brooks
that furnish very good water pow-
er which is generally improved.



This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2