Distances. Twenty-eight miles
south from Concord, and forty-
seven from Boston.
Railroad. Nashua and Wilton
Railroad passes through this town.
Merrimack Co. The surface
is uneven, being broken by hills
and mountains. The soil, in many
localities, is strong, and when prop-
erly cultivated, yields excellent
crops. Not more than one third
of the area of the town, or 8,456 out
of 29,883 acres, is considered capa-
ble of improvement.
Ponds and River. There are
several ponds, the largest of which
is Loon Pond. Its water is very
pure, and the scenery around it is
grand and picturesque.
Mountain. Ragged Mountain
extends along the north part of the
town; it is an eminence but little
inferior to Kearsarge in height,
but its name fully describes it.
There are several small villages,
the post office names of which are
East Andover, Potter Place, West
Andover, and Andover.
Employment. The inhabitants
are principally engaged in farm-
ing; but manufacturing is an
important branch of industry.
Among the most important of
goods annually produced, is paper,
$20,000, shoe pegs $20,000, Hames
$28,000, lumber $19,200; grain
ground $19,100, cotton and woolen
hose $10,000, besides lasts, weld-
ing composition, and other small
mechanical works. There are
also blacksmiths, wheelwrights,
carpenters, masons, painters, &c.
The total value of goods annually
produced, is $128,600. (See tables.)
Resources. Productions from
agriculture, $66,257; mechanical
labor, $29,500; stocks, $17,500;
money at interest, $28,401; depos-
its in savings banks, $84,419;
stock in trade, $33,400; from sum-
mer tourists, $2,000; professional
Churches and Schools. Congre-
gational, Rev. Howard Moody,
pastor; Freewill Baptist, Rev.
C. B. Griffin, pastor; Christain,
Rev. A. II. Martin, pastor.
There are twelve schools, of
which two are graded. Average
length of schools for the year, fif-
Hotel. The Kearsarge House.
Stages leave here on the arrival of
the cars, in warm weather, for the
Winthrop House, on Kearsarge
Mountain, four miles distant. The
scenery from the summit of this
mountain is very fine, and visitors
are largely increasing, from year
First Settlement. Andover was
first known as Emerisstown. In
1746 it was granted to Edward
Brown and others, as New Britton,
in honor of the captors of New
Britton, in 1745, in which expedi-
tion some of the grantees were
engaged. June 25, 1779, it was in-
corporated under its present name.
The first inhabitant was Joseph
Fellows, who came here in 1761.
Among the deceased citizens who
are remembered with respect by
the inhabitants, can be mentioned
Dr. Silas Barnard, the first physi-
cian in town. He died June 25,
1795. Dr. Jacob B. Moore, a poet
of some eminence, became a resi-
dent here in 1796; died January
10, 1818. Jonathan Weare, Esq.,
a civil magistrate, and highly re-
spected, died in 1816. Mr. Jona-
than Noyes was' respected for his
charitable disposition. Potter,