Kennebec co. Windsor was in-
corporated by the name of Malta,
in 1809. In 1821 it took the name
of Gerry, and in 1822 it received
its present name. It lies 12 miles
from Augusta, by which it is bound-
ed on the west. Population, 1837,
1,660. Wheat crop, same year,
5,947 bushels. /
This town is watered by the up-
per branches of Sheepscot river,
and by several handsome ponds.
The surface of the town is diversi-
fied : the soil is generally gOQd, and
its agricultural condition improv-
ing. There are some manufactures
in the town.
Hillsborough co. This town con-
tains only 5,335 acres. It is diver-
sified with hills: its soil is strong,
good for grazing,and for bread stuffs,
of which quantities sufficient for use
at home, and some for the markets
are raised. Black pond, near the
centre, is said to be-JfiO rods long
and 80 broad; and one near the S.
E. corner of the town, is about
SO rods long and 40 wide-
Windsor was formerly called
Campbell's Gore. It was incorpo-
rated with town privileges in 1798.
Population, 1830, 226.
Windsor County, Vt.
Woodstock is the county town.
This county is bounded N. by the
county of Orange, E. by Connecti-
cut river, S. by Windham county,
and W. by Rutland and a part of
Addison counties. It contains an
area of about 900 square miles.
Population, 1810, 34,877; 1820,
38,233; 1830, 40,625: population
to a square mile, 48. Incorporated
Windsor county is watered by
■White, Queechy, Black, West and
Williams’ rivers, and by other ex-
cellent mill streams. The surface
of the county is uneven, and in
some parts mountainous, but gen-
erally, it is not too elevated to ad-
mit of cultivation. The soil pro-
duces fine crops of grain, hay, veg-
etables and fruits: the lands are
peculiarly adapted for grazing, and
about 200,000 sheep graze on its
varied surface of hills and valleys
The beautiful Connecticut, which
washes its whole eastern boundary,
gives to this county large tracts of
alluvial meadow land, and affords
it a-navigable channel to the sea
boaFd, for its surplus productions,
and for its wants from abroad.
The hydraulic power of Windsor
county is very large, and its local
position is such as to induce men of
enterprize and capital to embark in
manufacturing operations, which
are annually increasing with fair
prospects of success.
Windsor co. Windsor was first
settled in 1764. Its surface is un-
even, but there are but few parts
of it unfit for cultivation. It con-
tains large tracts of alluvial mead-
ow, and the uplands are generally
fertile. Mill brook waters the
south part of the town, and fur-
nishes it with excellent mill sites.
The manufactures of the town are
numerous and valuable. The ag-
ricultural interests are also valu-
able : 10,000 sheep are annually
sheared in the town, and many
neat cattle, horses and productions
of the dairy are annually transpor-
ted to its various markets.
This town has become the cen-
tre of an important commerce, both
from the river and a fertile interior
country. The favorable position
of Windsor, as a place of trade,
was early discovered,' and it has
been fortunate in possessing a suc-
cession of men, who, by their en-
terprise and wealth, have rendered
it one of the most flourishing towns
on Connecticut river.
Windsor is situated on the west
side of that delightful river, 55