watered by one of the head branch-
es of Sebasticook river, and lies
about 22 miles N. by E. from Skow-
hegan. A part of the town is ele-
vated, but its surface, generally,
is undulating, with a productive
soil. Population, 1837, 721. Wheat
crop, same-year, 4,290 bushels.
York co. Wells lies on the sea
coast between York and Kenne-
bunk, and is 85 miles S. W. by S.
from Augusta, and 30 S. W. by S.
from Portland. The first settlers
came from Exeter, N. H., about
the year 1640. A noted Indian
chief, Wawwaw, lived here about
one hundred years ago, pretending
to claim this and some adjoining
towns. There is no evidence of any
purchase of Indian title to the soil.
The town charter from Thomas
Gorges is dated Sept> 27, 1643.
There are a number of small
streams or brooks running through
the town in various directions, on
■which are 1 fulling, 16 saw and 10
grist mills. The principal river
is near the middle of the town, and
was called by the Indians JVebhan-
net, but is now generally called the
“ Town river.” A sand bar at the
entrance renders the navigation
somewhat difficult.. Ogunquit riv-
er, in the southerly part of the
town, forms a harbor for small
coasting and fishing vessels.
The town contains about 35,000
acres, of which one fifth may be
considered waste land, or unfit for
cultivation. It contains large tracts
of salt meadow. Wood for fuel is
exported to Boston and other places,
in considerable quantities. Some
trade is carried on with the West In-
dies, and vessels of various size are
built from timber in the town. In-
corporated, 1653. Population, 1837,
3,042. This town furnished a large
number of revolutionary officers.
Wells River, Vt.
This river has its source in Ket-
tle pond, which lies at the north-
west corner of Groton and a part of
it in Marshfjeld. It runs nearly
southeast about two miles, and falls
into Long pond in Groton, which is
about two miles long and 100 rods
wide. From this pond it continues
its southeasterly course half a mile,
and falls into another pond, which
is about half a mile long and a
quarter of a mile wide. It then
runs a mile and a half, and meets
the south branch, which rises near
the southwest corner of the town,
and runs nearly east to its junction
with the main stream; it then runs
east southeast about a mile, and
receives the north branch, which
has its source near the southeast
corner of the town. Continuing
the same course, it passes through
the northwest part of Ryegate into
Newbury, and running near the line
between Newbury and Ryegate
about 4 miles, falls into Connecti-
cut river about half a mile south
of the northeast corner of New-
bury. This is generally a rapid
stream, furnishing many excellent
W ells, Vt.
Rutland co. A part of this town-
ship is level, and a part mountain-
ous. The soil is generally good,
and productive of grain, and of pas-
turage for sheep, of which between
three and four thousand are kept.
The principal stream in the town is-
sues from Wells or St. Augustine
lake or pond, a beautiful sheet of
water, partly in Poultney, S miles
in length, and covering 2,000 acres.
At the outlet of this pond is a snug
village, with some water power
Wells was first settled in 1768.
It lies 65 miles S. S. W. from Mont-
pelier, and 13 S. W. from Rutland.
Population, 1830, 880.
Wendell, Iff. BE.,
Sullivan co., is bounded N. by
: Springfield, E. by Sunapee lake,