NEW ENGLAND GAZETTEER.
eral very beautiful ponds. In Por-
ter’s pond, about two miles long,
a salmon trout was taken, which
weighed twenty seven and a half
Strong was incorporated in 1801,
and named- in honor of Caleb
Strong, LL. D., formerly a
Senator to Congress, from Massa-
chusetts, and Governor ofthat state
9 years. He died at Northampton,
Mass., * his native town, Nov. 7,
1819, aged 74 years.-
able water privileges. The soil is
generally a warm loam.and produc-
tive : the surface is elevated, and, in
the. centre of the town, mountain-
ous. There are about 5,500 sheep
in the town. Sudbury is 43 miles
S. WV from Montpelier, 47 S. by E.
from Burlington, and 17 N. W. from
Rutland. Population, 1830, 812.
Sudbury River, Mass.
This river rises in Hopkinton
and its neighborhood, and after
passing Framingham, Natick, Sud-
bury, Way land and Lincoln, it
joins the Assabet at Concord..
Middlesex co. This ancient
town is situated on the west side
of river of the same name, 19
miles W. by N. from Boston, and
8 S. W. from Concord: Popula-
tion, 1837, 1,388. It is watered by
a small stream, a branch of Sudbu-
ry river. There is a paper mill
' in the town, a plough factory, and
• manufactures of boots and shoes*
annual value about $20,000.
Sudbury was first settled in 1635.
In 1676, about 70 men, on then
march for the relief.of Marlbo-
rough, fell into an ambuscade with
the Indians: twenty six of the En-
glish were left dead on the field;
the residue were captured, and ma-
ny of them afterwards tortured and
slain. West of Sudbury causeway,
is.a monument erected to their
memory, by president Wadsworth,
of Harvard College, a son of the
Captain of the Band.
Hartford co. Suffield lies on the
west side' of Connecticut river, and
is bounded N. by Massachusetts, to
which state it was attached until
1752. This territory, 8 by 5 miles,
was purchased about the year 1670,
of two Indian Chiefs, for one hun-
dred dollars. The surface on the
banks of the river, are elevated,
and although the town is without
■Worcester co. This is a very
pleasant town, and is well watered
by Quinebaug river. It lies* 60
miles W. S. W. from Boston, and
18 S. W. from Worcester. Incor-
porated, 1738.' Population, 1330,.
1,688 ; 1837, 2,004. The surface of
the town is uneven and hilly, and'
the soil h^ird to subdue ; but it has
become productive by good man-
agement. There are some good
fish ponds in the town, which serve
to swell the Quirtebaug. There !
are 6 cotton mills in Sturbridge and
manufactures of boots,.shoes, leath-
er, chairs, cabinet ware) clothing,
palm-leaf hats, ’trunks -harnesses,
chairs, wagons, sleighs and pocket
rifles; total value, the year ending
April 1, 1837, $182,415.
Success, N. H.
Coos co. There are several con-
siderable mountains in this tract,
and two or three ponds. . Narmar-
cungawack and Live, rivers rise
here, and pass westerly into .the
Androscoggin. Success was grant-
ed Feb. 12, 1773, to, Benjamin
Mackay and others; and is. 143
miles N. by E. from Concord. Pop-
ulation, 1830, 14.
Rutland co. A part of Hubhards-
ton, and Hinkum’s ponds lie in this
town, neither of which, nor Otter
Creek, which passes through the
eastern part, produce any consider-
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.