Lamoille co. Sterling Peak, in
the South part,of this town, ranks
among the most elevated- summits
of the Green Mountain range.
Some streams'issue from this moun-
tain town. It wgs first settled in
1799, and contains 23,040 acres of
land. The quality of the soil may
be known, by the number of its in-
habitants, 183 ; and by the number
of its sheep, 350. It lies 24 miles
N. by W. from Montpelier.
Worcester co. This town was
first settled about the year 1721.
It was taken’from Lancaster, in
1781. It lies 40 miles W. from
Boston, and 12 N. from Worcester.
It is watered by Still river. Its
surface is. uneven, and its.soil light.
Population, 1837,1,650. The man-
ufactures of the town consist of
boots, shoes, leather, straw bonnets,
palm-leaf hats, scythe snaiths,
chairs. and cabinet ware : ’ total
amount, for the year ending April
1, 1837, $76,528, of which $53,
228, was- for chairs and cabinet
Windham co. This town lies 10
miles S. E. from Brooklyn, and 44
E. by S. from Hartford. It was
taken from Yoluntown in. 1794.
Population, 1830, 1,240. The soil
is a light gravelly and sandy loam,
and produces good grain. Sterling
is watered by two branches of
Moosup river, a good mill stream,
on which are four cotton mills.
“.Near the centre of this town,
there is a cavern, called the “ Dev-
il’s Den,” possessing very singular
and curious features. It is situated
within a ledge of rocks, and has a
circular area of about 100 feet in
diameter. The rock is cleft in two
places, forming at each a chasm or
fissure about 50 feet in depth,
through one of which there runs
a.small stream of water; the other
communicates with a room about
12 feet square, at the interior part
of which there is a fiye place, and
a chimney extending through the
rock above, forming an aperture of
about 3 feet square. In another
part of the rock there is a natural
stair case, winding around it from
the bottom to the top. In the cold
season of the year, a large mass of
ice is formed in the room above de-
scribed, by the dashing of the water
down the chimney, which contin-
ues there through nearly the whole
of the warm months, the sun being
almost excluded from this subter-
Penobscot co. This town is
bounded N. by Exeter, and S. by
Etna and Carmel. It is 63 miles
N. E. from Augusta, and 18 W. N.
W. from Bangor. It ts watered by
branches of the Sebasticook and
Sowadabscook, which rise here. It
was incorporated in 1831. Popula-
tion, 1830, 114b, 1837,437. The sur-
face of the town is undulating, and
the .soil excellent. Wheat crop,
1837, 3,704 bushels.
Washington co. This is a mar-
itime township, and comprises Dy-
er’s Bay, which sets up from the
sea about 9 miles, and contains a
number of -good harbors. This bay
lies between Little Menan Point
and Goldsborough harbor. It is
about a mile wide at its mouth.
Steuben is a place of considera-
ble ship building, and a number of
vessels are owned here, employed
in the .coasting trade and fishery.
Narraguagus river passes its north-
Steuben lies 107 miles E. Irom
Augusta, and about 35 W. by S.
from Machias. Incorporated, 1795.
Population, 1837, 802.