lier, 32 N. by E. from Burlington,
and 10 N. N. E. from St. Albans.
Population, 1830, 1,427.
She pang River, Ct.
This river rises'in Goshen, in the
county of Litchfield; it receives
several branches, and passes south,
through the towns of Washington
and Roxbury, and falls into the
Housatonick at Southbury. This is
a good mill stream, in some parts
rapid, in others gentle and fertiliz-
Rutland co. Killington Peak,
3,924 feet in height, several ponds,
and Thundering brook, with a hand-
some fall, lie in this town. Queechy
river rises in this town, and along
its banks is some good land; but the
lands are generally too elevated
even for pasturage. Sherburne was
first settled in 1785. It lies 22 miles
N. W. from Windsor, and 10 E. from
Rutland. Population, 1830, 452.
Middlesex co. This town is wa-
tered by Charles and Sudbury riv-
ers. It is 13 miles S. \Y. by W.
from Boston, and 15 S. from Con-
cord. Population, 1S37,1,037. In-
corporated, 1674. The soil of Sher-
burne is very good and productive.
The village is on'elevated land; it
is pleasant,and commands good pros-
pects. The manufactures of the
town consist of straw bonnets, boots,
shoes, leather, axes, fork?, plougfts,
musket-* and whips : annual value,
Fairfield co. Sherman was for-
merly the north part of New Fair-
field,and incorporated in 1802. Pop-
ulation, 1330,947. It is 60 miles S.
W. from Hartford, 13 N. from Dan-
bury, and bounded W. by the state
of New York. There is a variety
of soils in the town, but they are
generally strong, warm, and pro-
ductive of grass and grain. A
branch of the Housatonick waters
the town. Iron ore is found here.
Shetucket River* Ct.
This fine mill stream receives its
head waters by several branches in
the counties of Windham and Tol-
land. It passes between* Lisbon
and Franklin and uniting with the
Quinnebaug at Norwich, flows in-
to the Thames. Its principal bran-
ches are the Natchaug and Willi-
Piscataquis co. This town was in-
corporated in 1834. It was former-
ly No. 3 in the 4th range- of the
Bingham Purchase. It is watered
by the higher branches of Piscata-
quis river, and lies about 76 miles
N. hy E. from Augusta. Popula-
tion, 1837, 213.
Middlesex co. This is a very
pleasant agricultural and manufac-
turing town, 32 miles N. W. from
Boston, 16 N. W. from Concord,
and 13 S. W. from Lowell. There
are some elevations in the town, but
of warm and fertile soil. There are
large tracts of intervale land along
the streams, which are very fertile
Shirley is separated from Groton by
Nashua river, and from Pepperell
by the Squanicook, a branch of the
Nashua. These streams afford Shir-
ley a fine water power, which ren-
ders it an excellent location for man-
ufacturing establishments. There
are 1 woolen and 3 cotton mills in tbe
town, and manufactures of boots,
shoes, paper, leather, palm-leaf hats,
&.c. Annual value, abqut $125,-
000. Population, 1837, 967.
. . Shoreham, Vt.
Addison co. This town lies on
the east, side of Lake Champlain,
and is watered by Lemonfair river,
a good mill stream. It is 12 miles