daughter, the wife of Col. Nathan-
iel Sparhawk. The last Sir Wil-
liam (son of Col. Sparhawk,) died
in London in 1817. The name and
title ace extinct.
Lady Mary Pepperell, relict of
Sir William Pepperell, died at her
seat in Kittery-, Nov. 25, 1789. She
was daughter of- ‘Grove Hirst,
Esq. and grand-daughter'of Hon.
Judge Sewall. Her natural and
acquired powers were said to be
very respectable, and she was much
admired for her wit and sweetness
William Pepperell, the fa-
ther of the first Sir William, was a
native of Cornwall, England, and
emigrated to this country about the
year 1676, and settled at the Isles
of ShQals, as a fisherman. It is
said, he was so poor for some time
after his arriv’al, that the lady to
whom he paid his addresses at the
Shoals would not hearken to him.
However, in a few years, by his
industry and frugality, he' got
erjough to send out a brig, which
he loaded to Hull. The lady now
gave her consent. After his mar-
riage, he removed to Kittery,
where he became a very wealthy
merchant, and died in 1734.
Pequawkctt River, Iff. II.
Pequawkett, written by Belknap
Pigwacket, and by Sullivan Pick-
wocket, but the true orthography is
found to be Pe-quaw-kett; an In-
dian name applied to a considerable
tract of country, now including
Conway, N. H., Fryeburgh, Me.,
and some of the adjacent towns.—
It is also,the name of a river flow-
ing into the Saco, from two,ponds
in Eaton; and of a mountain be-
tween Bartlett and Chatham, for-
merly called Kearsarge.'
Washington cp. This town Hes
on the W. side of St. Croix river,
and 5 miles N. W. from Eastport,
to which it is connected by a bridge.
It is favored with good navigable
waters, and is a place of considera-
ble enterprise in the'fishing busi-
ness, ship building, and the coasting
and lumber trade. It is 184 miles
E. by N. from Augusta, and 25 E.
N. E. from Machias. Incorporated,
1818. Population, 1837, 929.
At Pleasant Point, in this town,
on the margin of the river, is an
Indian reservation, the residence of
the remnant of the Openangos, or
Passdmaquoddy tribe.. The village
contains a Roman Catholic church,
about 20 cottages, and 120 souls.—
The reservation comprises about
Oxford co. Peru is bounded on
the N. by Androscoggin river, and
contains some pleasant ponds and
mill streams. It has a good soil and
produced, in 1837, 3,457 bushels of
wheat. Population, same year,
854. Incorporated, 1821. Peru
lies 38 miles W. by N. from Augus-
ta, and 17 N. by E. from Paris.
Bennington co. This is a Green
Mountain township, high and brok-
en. It contains two large fish ponds
from which issue beautiful moun-
tain streams. First settled, '1773.
Population, 1830, 455, It lies 3C
miles N. N. E. from Bennington,
and 30 S. W. from Windsor.
Berkshire co. This is a rough
and mountainous town, wherein
branches of Houeatonick and West-
field rivers rise. It was formerly
called Partridgefield, and incorpo-
rated by that name in 1771. The
soil is cold but adapted for grazing.
The inhabitants are chiefly farm-
ers. Population, 1837, 656. In
that year 6,127 sheep were sheared
in this town ; the value of the wool,
which weighed 18*381 lbs., was
$ll,948i Peru lies 111 miles W.
from Boston, 18 N. E.from Lenox,