several pleasant and thriving villa-
ges, in which are large and valua-
New Market was originally a
part of Exeter, and was detached
and incorporated, 1727.
Mrs, Fanny Shute, who died in
this town September, 1819, was re-
spected not only for her excellent
qualities, but the adventures of her
youth. When 13 months old, she
was taken by a party of Indians,
carried to Canada, and disposed of
to the French—educated in a nun-
nery, and after remaining 13 years
in captivity, was redeemed and re-
stored to her friends.
Daniel Brackett recently died in
this town. He weighed 560 lbs.
New Marlborough, Mass.
Berkshire co.. There is a large
pond in this town, and a branch of
Housatonick river. The surface is
uneven, and the soil best adapted
for grazing. It, w as incorporated in
1759, and lies 135 miles S. W. by
W. from Boston, and 20 S.. by E.
from (Lenox. Population, in 1837,
Th^re are two caverns in this
town, ^containing stalactites. The
manufactures consist of leather,
boots, ^hoes, chairs, cabinet ware,
and a variety of sawed lumber.—
The products of the dairy are con-
siderable, and about 1,600 sheep are
New Milford, Ct.
Litchfield co. This township is
hjlly and broken, several mountain-
ous ridges extending through it.
The soil is much diversified, and
where susceptible of cultivation, it
is generally good; but on the whole
more distinguished for grain than
grass. There are, however, large
quantities of excellent meadow
ground, hut the pasturage is, on the
whole, not abundant. It is essen-
tially a farming town. For some
lime after the white people come
here, an Indian chief, or sachem,
named IVerauhamaug, had a pal-
ace standing near the Great falls,
where he resided. On the inner
walls of this palace, (which were
of bark with the smooth side * in-
wards,) were pictured every known
species of beast, bird, fish and in-
sect, from the largest to the small-
est. This was said to have been
done by artists whom ai friendly
prince at a great distance sent to
him for that purpose, as Hiram did
to Solomon. The town of New
Milford was purchased, of the Col-
ony of Connecticut by a company of
individuals chiefly belonging to Mil-
ford, and was first-settled in 1707.
The first bridge that was ever built
over the Housatonick river, from
the sea to its source was built in this
town in 1737. The village of New
Milford is very handsome; the
streets are wide and well shaded.
It lies 36 miles N. W. from New
Haven, and IS S. W. from Litch-
field. Population, 1830,3,979. The
territory of this town is larger than
any other in the state : it is 13 by 6
1-2 miles. The town is well water-
ed, and has solne manufactures.
There are large quantities of gran-
ite and marble, and the town pro-
duces large quantities of grain and
wool for market.
I Penobscot co. This is a fine farm-
ing town, and watered by a large
and beautiful pond which empties
into Sebasticook river. It lies 56
miles N. E. from Augusta and 24
W. from Bangor. Population, 1837,
1,088. Wheatcrop same year, 5,173
bushels. This town contains a pleas-
ant village and some mills.
Newport, N. H.
Shire town, Sullivan county. Its
central situation and its water pow-
er, together with the enterprising
spirit of its inhabitants, has render-
ed Newport a place of considerable
business. It is 40 miles W.by N.from
Concord, about 35 N. from Keene,