town was incorporated; it then had
124 inhabitants and produced 1,780
bushels of wheat. See “ Down
New London, N. H.
Merrimack co. It is 30miles W.
N. W. from Concord, and 12 E.
from Newport. Population, 1830,
913. Lake Sunapee separates this
town from Weudell, and is the
principal source .of Sugar river.—
There are three considerable-ponds.
Little Sunapee pond, 1 1-2 miles in
length and 3-4 of a mile in width,
lies in the W. part, and empties its
waters into lake Sunapee. Har-
vey’s and Messer’s ponds, near the
centre of the town, are the' princi-
pal sources of Warner river. They
are about a mile in length and 3-4
of a mile in breadth, and are sepa-
rated by. a bog, many parts of which
rise and fall with the water. Pleas-
ant pond, in the N. part of New
London, is nearly 2 miles long and
1 wide. The settlements of New
London are formed principally on
three large swells of land; The
soil is deep and generally good.—
In the N. part are several eleva-
tions. In some parts the land is
rocky, but there is little not capable
of cultivation. New London was
incorporated in 1779. Its first name
The damage sustained by the in-
habitants of this town, by the 'vio-
lent whirlwind of Sept. 9,1821, was
estimated at $9,000. A large rock
lying out of-the ground, 1Q0 feet
long, ,50 wide and 20 high, was
rent into two pieces, and thrown
about 20 feet asunder.
New London County, Ct.
New London and Norwich are
the county- towns. New London
county is bounded N. by Windham,
TollaDd and Hartford counties, E.
by Windham county and the state of
Rhode Island, S. by Long Island
Sound, and W.by the county of Mid-
dlesex, J.ts average length from E.
toW. averages about 20 miles, apd
it has a medium breadth of about 20
miles. This county possesses supe-
rior-maritime advantages, having an
extensive border on Long Island
Sound,which affords numerous bays,
inlets and harbors. Exceptingasmall
section, principally in the town of
Lyme,'no portion of-the county can
be considered as mountainous, but it
is generally hilly aDd elevated, and
comprises a small proportion of allu-
vial. The hills and elevated tracts
are considerably rough and stony.
The lands in general are not adapted
to grain culture, although upon the
intervales and other tracts Indian
corn is raised to advantage, and to a
considerable extent. The princi-
pal agricultural interests depend
very much upon grazing. The wa-
ters of the county are abundant and
valuable. On the south it is washed
more than thirty miles by Long Isl-
and Sound, part of its western bor-
der by Connecticut river, and the
interior of the county is watered and
fertilized- by the Thames and its
branches. The fishing business is
more extensively carried on in this
county than in any other section of
the state, and is an important branch
of industry.. The manufacturing
business is carried on to consider-
able extent in tbe northern part of
the county, and is increasing.
In 1837, this county contained
41,387 sheep. Population, in 1820,
35,943 ; 1830, 42,201 : 81 inhabit-
ants to a square mile. The tonnage
of the district of New London, in
1837, was 41,626 tons.
New London, Ct.
One of the shire towns of New
London county. The first English
settlement in New London com-
menced in 1646. It is situated on
the west bank of the river Thames.
In its territorial limits it is much
the smallest of any town in the
state, being about 4 miles in length
from north to south, and averages
about 3-4 of a mile in breadth.—