tile and productive. Wheat crop,
1837, 5,421 hushels. Le-eds was
incorporated in 1802. It lies 30
miles W. S. W. from Augusta.—
Population, 1837, 1,-743.
Addison co. Leicester is water-
ed by a river of its own name, by
Otter creek, and by a part of lake
Dunmore. These waters are too
sluggish to afford the town much
water power. The soil is a sandy
loam, interspersed with some flats
of clay. Along the rivers the soil
is rich and productive. The high
lands are hard and fit for grazing.
.. About 4,000 sheep are kept here.
Leicester lies 36 miles S. W. from
Montpelier, and 10 S. by E. from
Middlebury. First settled, 1773.
Population, 1830, 63S.
Worcester co. This town is on
the height of ground between Bos-
ton harbor and Connecticut river.
It lies .46 miles W. from Boston, 6
W. S. W. from Worcester, 42 E. S.
E. from Northampton, and 44 N. W.
from Providence. It was first set-
tled in 1713, and incorporated about
the year 1721. Its Indian name
was Towtaid. Population, 1837,
2,122. This town is well watered
hy French river, and branches of
the Connecticut and Blackstone,
which rise here, and afford mill sites
for numerous manufactories.
Leicester Academy was founded
in 1784. It has considerable funds,
commodious buildings, and is highly
respectable. It accommodates 100
pupils throughout the year.
The surface of the town is uneven
with a strong, deep soil. There
are 5 woolen mills in the town, and
manufactures of machines, hand
cards, machine cards, chairs, cabi-
net ware, scythes, leather, boots and
shoes: total value the year ending
April 1, 1837, $531,939.
A society of Jews built a syna-
gogue, and resided here from 1777 to
1783. They were much esteemed.
The families of Denny, Earle and
Henshaw, have been numerous in
Leicester, and highly respectable.
Essex co. A mountainous town-
ship, on the \V. side of Connecticut
river, with a small portion of inter-
vale. There are several brooks in
the town, and a beautiful cascade
of 50 feet. There is a mountain in
the town called “ the Monadnock
of Vermont,” from which may be
discovered that this town, general-
ly, is not fit for cultivation. It lies
64 miles N. E. from Montpelier,
and 24 N. from Guildhall. Popu-
lation,. 1830, 183.
Lempster, N. II*
Sullivan co. It is 40 miles W.
from Concord. The surface is, in
general, uneven, and the eastern
part js mountainous. The soil is
moist, and better suited for grass
than grain. The town is well
watered, although its streams are
small. One branch of Sugar river,
and the S. and W. branches of Cold
river afford conveniences for water
machinery.' Near the W. bound-
ary line is a pond 320 rods long
and 80 wide- Sand pond lies in
this town and Marlow. Lempster
was granted 1761. It was settled
about 1770, by emigrants from Con-
necticut. Population, in 1830, 999.
See “ Down East.”
Berkshire co. Shire town. This
is an excellent township of land,
watered by Housatonick river, and
surrounded by beautiful mountain
scenery. It lies 130 miles W. from
Boston, 25 N. E. from Hudson, N.
Y,, and 55 N. W. from Hartford,
Ct. Lenox is accommodated with
a water power, and contains mines
of rich iron ore, and quarries of
beautiful marble. There are some