NEW ENGLAND GAZETTEER.
Orleans co. A part of this town
is very mountainous—Jay’3 peak
lying in the S. W. part; the other
part is good arable-land, and would
produce good crops if well culti-
vated. A number of streams issue'
from the mountain and produce an
ample water power. Jay was char-
tered in 1792, but it was not per-
manently settled until about 1816.
It lies 50 miles N. from Montpe-
lier, and 15 N. W. from Irasburgh.
Population, 1830, 196.
Population, 1830,1,654. Jerico lies
25 miles N. W. from Montpelier,
and 12 E. from Burlington. This
town lies 011 the N. side of Onion
river, and is otherwise finely sup-
plied with mill seats by Brown’s
river and other streams. The soil
varies in quality, from good inter-
vale, on the streams, to common
grazing pastures, on the hills. There
is a pleasant village at the falls, on
Brown’s river, and some manufac-
Lamoille co. Johnson was first
settled in 1784, by a revolutionary
hero, of the name of Samuel Ea-
ton. Mr. Eaton frequently passed
through this township, while scout-
ing between Connecticut river and
lake Champlain; and several times
encamped on the same- flat which
he afterwards occupied as a farm, it
being a beautiful tract of intervale.
Like many other settlers of this
state, he had many difficulties to
encounter. In indigent circumstan-
ces, and with a numerous family,
he loaded his little all upon an old
horse, and set’ out in search of that
favorite spot which he had selected
in his more youthful days. He
had to travel nearly 70 miles through
-the wilderness, guided by the trees
which had been marked by the
scouts, and opening a path as he
passed along. He depended, for
some time after he arrived at John-
son, entirely upon hunting and fish-
ing for the support of himself and
The river Lamoille enters this
township near the southeast cor-
ner, and running westerly about
two miles, through a rich tract of
intervale, falls over a ledge of rocks
about 15 feet in height into a basin
below. This is called AV ConneVs
falls. Thepce it runs northwest-
erly over a bed of rocks, about 100
rods, narrowing its channel and in-
creasing its velocity, when it forms
a whirlpool and sinks under a bar-
Lincoln co. This town lies, at
the head of Damariscotta river, and
embraces a large body of water.
It is otherwise watered by several
ponds producing streams for mill
seats, which give to Jefferson great
facilities for sawing and transport;
ing lumber. This is a flourishing
town in its trade and agricultural
pursuits; it produced 3,361 bushels
of wheat in 1837. Incorporated,
1807. Population, 1837, 2,246. It
lies 28 miles E. S. E. from Augus-
ta, and 15 N. E. from Wiscasset.
Jefferson, N. H.
Coos co. Pondicherry pond, in
this town, is about 200 rods in di- '
ameter, and is the principal source
of John’s river. Pondicherry bay
is about 200 rods wide and 100 long.
Mount Pliny lies in the easterly
part of this town, and around its
base there is excellent grazing and
tillage land. On the S. W. side of
this mountain are several fine farms,
which command a most delightful
view of the White mountains. Is-
rael’s river passes through Jeffer-
son from S. E. to N. W., and here
receives a considerable branch. The
town was first settled about the year
1773. Jefferson is 77 miles N. from
Concord, and 9 S. E. from Lancas-
ter. Population, 1830, 495.
Chittenden co. First settled, 1774.
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.