tlie runs from the mountains that
environ its borders, inundate the
va’flieys and greatly fertilize the soil.
The scenery on the Housatonick
is exceedingly beautiful; in some
places it is enchanting. The roman-
tic cataract at Canaan, Conn., of 60
feet perpendicular, is well worthy
the notice of travellers. The In-
dian name of this river, signifies
over the mountains. A vocabula-
ry of Indian names, so beautiful and
expressive, would be not only cu-
rious but valuable.
Penobscot co. This is a large
township of good land, in which the
Piscataquis and Seboois rivers form
a junction : at the mouth of the for-
mer, about 50 rods from the Penob-
scot, are several saw mills. The
banks of the river are low and ve-
ry beautiful. Howland was incor-
porated in 1826. It Ires 117 miles
N. E. from Augusta, and 84 N. from
Bangor. Population, 1830, 329;
Rutland co. Elizabeth Hickok,
the daughter of Elizabeth and Uriah
Hickok, was the first white child
born in this town. This event oc-
curred in 1774. The face of the
town is uneven, and in some parts
mountainous. It is watered by se-
veral ponds, the largest of which,
lying partly in Sudbury, is Grego-
ry’s pond, the outlet of which is
called Hubbardston river. This
river empties into Lake Champlain
at West Haven, and is an excellent
mill stream. The village at the
northwesterly part of the town is
pleasant and flourishing: it con-
tains mills for the manufacture of
Hubbardston lies 50 miles S. W.
from Montpelier, and 10 N. W. from
Rutland. Population^ 1830, 865.
Worcester co. Hubbardston is
on elevated ground, and the source
of several branches of Ware river.
There is much unimproved water
power in the town. There are con-
siderable tracts of valuable mead-
ow land,' and the uplands are good
for grazing. It was incorporated
in. 1767. Population, 1837, 1,780.
The manufactures of the town con-
sist of copperas, leather, boots,shoes,
palm-leaf hats, chairs, cabinet and
wooden wares. Hubbardston lies
54 miles W. from Boston, and 22
S. from Worcester.
Hudson, IV. H.
Hillsborough co. This town lies
17 miles S. E. from Amherst, and
38 S. from Concord. The land here
is of easy cultivation. On the river
are fine intervales, of a deep rich
soil. Distant from the river, the
land is hilly and somewhat broken.
There are two ponds, known by the
name of Little Massabesick, and
Otternick ponds. This town was
included in the grant of Dunstable,
and was settled as early as 1710.
The first settlements were made on
the banks of the river, where the
Indians had cleared fields for culti-
vating corn. The first inhabitants
lived in garrisons. While the men
were abroad in the fields and forests,
the women and children were lodg-
ed in these places of security.
Near the Indian cornfields have
been found cinders of a blacksmith’s
forge, which have led to the con-
jecture that they employed a smith
to manufacture their implements of
war and agriculture. Incorporated,
1746, by tbe name of Nottingham-
West, which it retained until July
1, 1830, when it was changed to
Hudson. Population in 1830, 1,282.
Plymouth co. Hull was first set-
tled about the year 1625. Incor-
porated, 1644. Population, 1837,
180. This town comprises the pen-
insula of Nantasket, which fprms
the S. E. side of Boston harbor. It