declaration of independence was
born here, in 1729. He died May-
Hancock co. This town is boun-
ded on the S. by Mariaville. The
head waters of Union river pass
through it. It lies about 25 miles E.
of Bangor. Population, 1837, 198.
Amlierst, I. II.
An important town, and the seat
of justice in Hillsborough county,
is situated on Souhegan river. It
is 28 miles S', from Concord, about
the same distance from Hopkinton,
47 N. W. from- Boston, 40 E. from
Keene, 60 S. E. from Windsor, Vt.
and 484 from Washington. Souhe-
gan is a considerable and very im-
portant stream, and in its course
to the Merrimack river from this
town, affords some of the finest wa-
ter privileges in the county. Bab-
boosuck, Little Babboosuck and Jo
English ponds are the largest col-
lections of water. In some parts,
and particularly on Souhegan river,
the soil is of an excellent quality,
producing abundant crops. In oth-
er parts, on the hills elevated above
the village, the soil is of a good
quality, and several valuable farms
are found under good cultivation.
The village is pleasant and contains
many handsome buildings. There
is a spacious common between the
two principal rows of houses, which
is often used for public purposes.
There is what is termed a mineral
spring, about 1 1-2 miles E. of the
meeting house. The water has
been found useful in rheumatic
* complaints, and in scrofulous and
scorbutic habits; for poisons by ivy,
dog-woodj &c. This town was
granted in 1733, by Massachusetts,
to those persons living and the heirs
of those not living, who were offi-
cers and soldiers in the Narragan-
set war of 1675. It was called Nar-
raganset JVo.3, and afterwards Sou-
hegan- West. The number of pro-
prietors was 120, of whom a eonsid-'
erable number belonged to Salem,
Mass. The town was incorporated
Jan. 18, 1760, when it assumed the
name of Amherst, in compliment to
Lord Jeffrey Amherst. Among
the worthy citizens of Amherst
who deserve remembrance, may be
mentioned Hon. Moses Nichols, a
native of Reading, Mass., who was
a colonel under Gen. Stark in the
Battle of Bennington: Hon. Samuel
Dana, a native of Brighton, Mass.
Hon. William Gordon, eminent
in the profession of the law.—
Hon. Robert Means, who died Jan.
24, 1823, at the age of SO, was for
a long period of time a resident in
Amherst. He was a native of Ire-
land. In 1764, he came to this
country, where by his industry and
application to business, he acquired
a large property, and great respect.
A mherst did its duty manfully
during the revolutionary contest.
During the first four years of that
war about one in seventy of its
people died in the service. The
expenses of that war, to this town,
“ in addition of any bounties, travel
or wages given or promised by the
State or the United States, was
found to be in specie, '£3,511.”
Population, 1830, 1,657.
Hampshire co. The college and
village in this town are on elevated
ground and command a very beau-
tiful prospect of the surrounding
country. Amherst was taken from
Hadley, and incorporated in 1759.
Population, 1837, 2,602. It lies 7
miles E. b}r N. from Northampton,
108 S. from Dartmouth college, and
82 miles W. from Boston. There are
good mill sites in this town on two
streams, which empty into the Con-
necticut at Hadley. Its manufac-
tures are various, consisting of
woollen cloth, boots, shoes, leather,
hats, paper, chairs, cabinet ware,
tinware, axes, ploughs,palm-leaf
hats, carriages, wagons, (large and