converted by the Portuguese, are either Mahome-
ians or pagans, the latter much the more nu-
merous. The principal territories are Jubo, Me-
linda, Mombaza, and Quiloa. The Portuguese
trade for slaves, ivory, gold, ostriches feathers,
wax, and drugs. The productions are much
the same as in the other parts of Africa, between
Zante, an island in the Mediterranean, forming
part of the Ionian republic. It is situate near the
coast of the Morea, 17 in. S. of the island of Ceph-
alonia, and is 14 m. long and 8 broad. Its prin-
cipal riches consist in currants, which are cultiva-
ted in a large plain, under the shelter of moun-
tains. Here are also the finest peaches in the
world. with other choice fruits, and excellent wine
and oil. The natives speak both Greek and Ital-
ian, though there are a very few Roman Cath-
olics among them; but they have a bishop as well
as the Greeks. Pop. 50,000.
Zante, the capital of the foregoing island, is
pleasantly situated on an eminence on the E. side
of the island, at the bottom of a small bay. The
houses are built partly ofbrick,and partly of wood,
and seldom more than one or two stories in height,
on account of the frequency of earthquakes ; the
last visitation of this kind was in 1820,when sever-
al hundreds of houses were overthrown. The har-
bour is capacious and is protected by a mole. 12
m. W. of Cape Tornese,in the Morea. Pop. 20,000.
Zanzibar, an island in the,Indian Sea, on the
eoast of Zanguebar, between the islands of Pem-
ba and Monsia. It abounds in sugar canes and
citrons. The inhabitants are Mahometan Arabs,
and are governed by a sheik appointed by the
iman of Mascat. Long. 41. 0. E., lat. 6. 0. S.
Zara, a city of the Austrian states, capital of a
circle of the same name, and of the whole of Aus-
trian Dalmatia, with a harbour. It is situated
in a plain, upon a small peninsula, joined to the
continent by an isthmus of about 25 paces broad.
On the side of the citadel it is very well for-
tified. Near the church, which the Greeks call-
ed St. Helia, are two handsome fluted columns
of the Corinthian order, said to have been part
of the temple of Juno. This place was formerly
more considerable than at present, the number of
the inhabitants being now not above 8,000. The
circle contains an area of 2,150 square miles, with
100,000 inhabitants. There are very fine paint-
ings in the churches, done by the best masters;
and they pretend to have the body of Simeon,
brought from Judea, and kept in a shrine with a
cryst 1 before it. Zara is seated on the gulf of
Venice 80 m. S. W. of Jaicza, and 150 S. E. of
Venice. Long. 16. 6. E., lat. 44. 30. N.
Zareng, a town of Persia, in the province of
Segestan. _ It is celebrated for its beautiful porce-
lain, and is seated on the Hirmund, 350 m. E. of
Ispahan. Long. 61. 10. E., lat. 32. 28. N.
Zaril, a town of Greece, in the Morea, 22 m. E. of
Z.xmate, a town in the Morea, seated on an emi-
nence 20 m. S. W. of Misitra.
Zarnowitz, a town of Prussia, in Pomerelia, on a
bay ot the Baltic, 38 m. N. N. W. of Dantzic.
Zaslaw, a town of Poland, in Volhinia, seated on
the Honn, 30 m. N. N. W. of Constantinow.
Zatmar, a strong town of Hungary, capital of a
county of the same name. It is seated on a small
lake, formed by the river Samos, 50 m. E. by S. of
Tockay, and 130 E. of Buna. Long. 22. 34. E., lat.
47, 50. N.
Cracow, with a castle; seated on an eminence
near the river Vistula, 20 m. S. W. of Cracow
and 50 S. E. of Ratibon.
Zaweh, a town of Persia, in the province of
Khorasan, situate on the Tedjen, 20 m. from
the Caspian Sea, and 80 N. of Mesched.
Zbaras, a town of Austrian Poland, 28 m. E- o'
Zborow and 68 N. by W of Kaminieck.
Zborow, a town of Austrian Poland, in the
circle of Lemburg. Here, in 1649, John Casimin
king of Poland, with 20,000 men, was attacked
by 110,000 Cossacks and Tartars, for three days
successively, but defended himself so bravely
that the latter consented to terms of accommo-
dation. Zborow is 52 m. E. by S. of Lemburg
Long. 25. 46. E., lat. 49. 46 N.
Zealand, or Zeeland, an island of Denmark, of
a triangular form, 2301m. in circumference, and
the largest of the isles belonging to the king of
Denmark. It lies at the entrance of the Baltic
having the Categat on the N., the Sound on the
E., and the Great Belt on the W. The coast
is much intersected by large bays; and within the
country are several lakes, which as well as the riv-
ers, abound in fish. It is exceedingly fertile, pro
ducing grain of all sorts with excellent pasture and
in most parts plenty of wood. It is particularly
famous for its breed of horses. Copenhagen is
the capital of this island and of the whole king-
Zealand, a province of Holland comprising the
ancient county of Zealand and Dutch Flanders
bounded on the N. by the isles of Holland, E. by
Brabant, S. by Flanders, and W. by the German
Ocean. It is composed of several islands, the
principal of which are AValcheren, Schowen, N
and S. Beveland, Tolen, Duyveland, and Wolf
ersdike. The surface is generally* level and lies
so low that the inhabitants are obliged to defend
themselves from encroachments of the sea by
vast dykes, which are kept up at great expense.
The river Scheldt forms the most of these islands,
and the soil of them is fruitful. The province
carries on considerable trade in corn, madder, flax
salt meat, linen yarn, rapeseed, oil, &c. The
greater part of the inhabitants are Calvinists, but
there are also many Catholics and Lutherans, and
some Mennonite Baptists. The principal towns
are Middleburg and Flushing.
Zealand, New, in the Pacific Ocean, was discov-
ered by Tasman in 1642. He traversed the east-
ern coast from lat. 34. to 43. S. and entered a
strait; but, being attacked by the natives soon af
ter he came to an anchor, he did not go ashore.
From the time of Tasman the whole country ex-
cept that part of the coast which was seen by
him, remained altogether unknown, and was oy
many supposed to make part of a southern conti-
nent, till 1770, when it was circumnavigated bv
captain Cook, who found it to consist of two
large isands, separated by the strait above men-
tioned, which is four leagues broad, and to which
he gave his own name. Along the coast there
are many small islands ; and it is indented by deep
bays, affording excellent shelter for shipping and
abundant supplies of wood and water. There are
also several rivers capable of receiving large ves-
sels, and in which the spring-tide rises nearly ten
feet perpendicularly. Of the two islands, the
southernmost, called by the natives Tavai, or
Tovy Poenammoo, is for the most part mountain-
ous and barren. As far inland as the eye car.
reach, nothing appears but mountains of stupen
dous height, consisting of rocas that are totally