ment of Finland, near which an obstinate battle
was fought, in 1741, between 3,000 Swedes and
16,000 Russians, when the former were obliged
at length to yield to superiority of numbers. It is
seated on the S. side of the lake Saima, 40 m. N.
N. VV. of Wiburg and 100 N. N. W. of Peters-
Wilna, p.v. Jefferson Co. N. Y. 176 m. N. W.
Albany. Pop. 1,602.
IVilna, a government of Russia, comprising
the N. part of Lithuania, and containing an area
of 2,300 square miles, with about 1,(100,000 of
Wilna, a town of Russia, capital of the forego-
ing government, and a bishops see, with a uni-
versity, an ancient castle, and a royal palace. It 4
stands on several little eminences, and has two
considerable suburbs, called Antokollo and Rud-
aiska. Here are upwards of40 churches ; and the
magnificent one belonging to tbe castle has a very
rich treasury. In 1748 a dreadful conflagration
destroyed 13 churches, and in 1749 another fire
happened by lightning, which consumed six
churches ; besides these, the Jews synagogue, the
council-house, 33 palaces, numerous stone edifi-
ces, and other buildings were destroyed. The
churches have been rebuilt, and some of them
in a more elegant manner than before; but the
city has not recovered its former gandeur. Wil-
na was taken by the Russians in 1794, and, with
its territory, annexed to that empire. The French
took possession of it in 1812, but evacuated it
the same year. It is seated on the Vilia, 180 m.
E. of Konicrsberg and 240 N.E. of Warsaw. Lonrr.
25, 28. E., lat. 54.41. N.
Wilsdorf, a town of Saxony, in Meissen, near
which the Saxons were defeated by the Prussians
in 1745. It is 9 m. W. of Dresden.
Wilsnach, a town of Prussia, in Brandenburg,
14 m. N. W. of Havelberg.
Wilson, a county of W. Tennessee. Pop.
25,477. Lebanon is the capital. ; ph. Niagara
Co. N Y. Pop. 913.
Wilson, ph. Kennebec Co. Me. Pop. 1,650 ;
ph. Hillsborough Co. N. H. Pop. 1,061 ; ph.
Fairfield Co. Conn. 77 m. S. W. Hartford. Pop.
2,095; ph. Saratoga Co. N. Y. 15 m. N. W.
Ballston Spa. Pop. 1,303.
WiJsonville, p.v. Bath Co. Va.
Wilson Hill, p.v. Shelby Co. Alab.
Wilsowitz, a town of ihe Austrian states, irf
Moravia, 15 m. E. N. E. of Hradisch.
Wilton, a borough in Wiltshire 85 m. W. by S.
Wiltshire, a county of England, 53 miles long
and 38 broad ; bounded on the E. by Berkshire
and Hampshire. The number of inhabitants in
1821 was 222,157. The air is sharp on the hills
in winter, but is mild during that season in
the vales. The land in the N. part is generally
hilly and woody, but affords excellent pasture
for cattle', and here is made the Wiltshire
cheese so much esteemed. In the S. the soil is
rich and fertile. In the middle it chiefly consists
of downs, that afford the best pasture for sheep;
and in the valleys, which divide the downs, are
corn-fields and rich meadows. Its principal com-
modities are sheep, wool, wood, and stone ; of
this last there are excellent quarries on the bank
of the Nadder, where some of the stones are 23
yards in length, and four in thickness, without a
flaw. The chief manufactures are the different
branches of the clothing-trade. Salisbury is the
Wimbledon, a village in Surrey, Eng. on an ele
vated heath, 7 m S. VV. of London. On the S.
W. angle of the common is a circular encamp-
ment, including seven acres; the trench very
deep and perfect. In the village are copper miffs
a manufacture for printing calicoes, and another
of japan ware.
Wimborn, or Wimborn Minster, a town in Dor-
setshire, Eng. It had a monastery, in which
were interred the W. Saxon kings Etheldred ana
Sigeforth, and queen Ethelburga. Its noble
church, called the Minster, was formerly collegi-
ate. 100 m. S. of London.
Wimmis, a town of Switzerland, in the canton
of Bern, seated on the Sibnen, 18 m. S. of Bern.
Wimpfen, a town of Germany, in Hesse-Darm-
stadt, consisting properly of two towns, called
Wipfen on the Hill, and Wimpfen in the Vale.
A salt work was established here in 1761. It in
seated on the Neckar, 8 m. N. of Heilbon and 22
E. of Heidelberg.
Wincaunton, a town in Somersetshire, Eng.
with manufactures of ticking, dowlas, serges, &e.
24 m. S. of Bath and 108 W. by S. of London.
Winekcomb, a town in Gloucestershire, Eng
99 N. N. W. of London.
Winebelsea,atown in Sussex,Eng. an appendage
to the cinque ports, 64 tn. S. E. of London.
Winchendon, ph. Worcester Co. Mass. 6 m
N. W. Boston. Pop. 1,463.
Winchester, p.v. Cheshire Co. N. II. 73 m. S.
W. Concord on the Connecticut, with manufac-
tures of woolen, cotton, nails, and oil. Pop. 2,052.
Winchester, ph. Frederick Co. Va. 30 m. S.
W. Harpers Ferry. It is regularly ana hand-
somely built in a pleasant situation and has con-
siderable trade and manufactures, a medical
school and an academy. There are some mineral
springs in the neighbourhood, and the town is
much frequented in summer by people fiom the
Winchester, ph. Litchfield Co. Conn. Pop. 1.765.
Guernsey and Ohio Co. Randolph Co. Ind. Clarke
Co. Ken., Franklin Co. Ten., and Wayne Co.
Winchester, a city in Hampshire, Eng. It is
one mile and a half in circumference, and has 8
churches, besides the cathedral, in which were
interred several Saxon kings and queens, whose
bones were collected by bishop Fox, put into
small gilded coffins, and placed on a wall in the
S. side of the choir. In this cathedral is the mar-
ble coffin of William Rufus. In the vicinit.v is St
Marys College, founded by William of Wyke-
ham; and contiguous to it is a spacious quadran-
gular edifice for commoners or gentlemen not on
the foundation. At the S. end of the city is the
hospital of St. Cross, founded by a bishop of this
see, for a master, nine poor brethren, and four
out-pensioners. All travellers who call at this
hospital have a right t.o demand some bread arid
beer, which is always brought to them. 62 m. W.
by N. of London.
Windau, a sea-port of Russia, in the govern
ment of Courland, with a castle. The exports
are pitch, tar, wax, &c., and some ships are built
here. It stands at the mouth of a river ofthe
same name, in the Baltic, 86 m. N. W. of Mittau
and 100 N. by E. of Memel. Long. 21. 50. E., lat.
57. 15. N.
Windermere, or Winandermere, the most exten
sive lake in England, lying between Westmor
land and Lancashire. It extends 15 m. from N
to S., but is not more than a mile broad. It is fa