Brookes’ Universal Gazetteer, page 768
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


WAL    768    WAL

form of an oven, open at one end, very low, but
long enough for a man to lie at full length ; but
they seem to depend more for shelter on the
caverns with which the rocks abound. They
possess a great power of imitation : they can imi-
tate the songs and language of the Europeans
almost instantaneously, much better than the
latter can imitate theirs by long practice; and
this talent is discernible in their sculptures, every
where to be met with on the rocks : these repre-
sent men and other animals, and, thcugh rude,
are very surprising for people who have not the
knowledge of constructing a comfortable habita-
tion, or of making clothes. In person, they are
active, vigorous, and stout, though generally lean.
The women have sometimes been kept back with
the most jealous sensibility, sometimes offered
with the greatest familiarity. They have soft
and pleasing voices ; and seem not to be destitute
of modesty. The men display great personal
bravery on the appearance of any danger; but,
with all their courage, they are much afraid of a
musket. They certainly burn their dead; which
perhaps, has given rise to the story of their being,
cannibals. They seem very little given to thiev-
ing, in comparison with the inhabitants of most of
the islands in the Southern Ocean; and they are
very honestamong themselves, leaving their spears
and other implements on the beach, in perfect
security of their remaining untouched. They
are very expert at throwing their javelins, and
will hit a mark at a considerable distance. Their
number seems to be small, in comparison to the
extent of the country.

The settlements of the British in New S. Wales
at first extended only along Port Jackson and the
Hawkesbury River; but they have since pene-
trated into the interior of the country. For a long
period the Blue Mountains formed an impassable
boundary to the E., but a carriage road has now
been constructed across these mountains, to the
distance of upwards of 100 m.; and the popula-
tion is spreading in the valleys beyond them. In
1817 and 1818 two expeditions were fitted out to
explore the course of the Lachlan and the Mac-
quarrie to their termination, which was found to
be in extensive swamps. The principal settle-
ments in this quarter, besides the town of Sydney,
which is the capital of the colony, are Paramatta,
Windsor, Bathurst, and Liverpool. There is also
a small settlement in the district of Coal River,
about 60 m. northward of Port Jackson, where
• the town of Newcastle is situated. This is the
place of transportation for criminals from Botany
Bay, and contains about 500 of these incorrigible
offenders, besides free settlers and troops. The
population of the whole colony is supposed, at
present, to amount to nearly 50,000.

Wales, ph. Lincoln Co. Me. Pop. 612; ph. Erie
Co. N. Y. 20 m. S. E. Buffalo. Pop. 1,500.

Walet, the capital of Bergoo, in Negroland. It
is 100 m. N. by W. of Sego and 270 W. by S.
of Tombuctoo. Long. 3. 0. W., lat. 15. 45. N.

Waldheim, p.v. Caldwell Co. Ken.

Walhof, a town of Russia, in the government
of Courland, near which the Poles were defeat-
ed by Gustavus king of Sweden, in 1626. It is 34
m. E. of Mittau.

Walker, ph. Centre Co. Pa.

Walker town, p.v. King and Qneen Co. Va.

Wallabout, a bay on Long Island opposite New
York, with a Navy Yard of the United States.

WaUajapetta, a populous and well-built town
of Hindoostan, in the Carnatic, which is the em-
porium of the trade between the country above
the Ghauts and the sea-coast. It is seated on the
N. bank of the Paliar, nearly opposite Arcot, 63
m. W. by S. of Madras.

WaUmburg, a town of Switzerland, in the can
ton of Basel, with a castle on a high rock ; seated
on the Ergetz, 12 m. S. by E. of Basel.

Wallenstadt, a town of Switzerland, in the can-
ton of St. Gall. It is a great thoroughfare for
merchandise passing from Germany, through the
country of the Grisons, to Italy, and stands at the
E. end of a lake of the same name, 9 m. W. of
Sargans and 15 N. W. of Coire.

Wallenstadt, a lake of Switzerland, 10 m. long
and 2 broad, bounded by high mountains, except
to the E. and W. Through this lake flows the
Mat, which soon after joins the Linth, and forms
the river Limmat.

Wallevstein, a town of Bavaria, with a castle, 6
m. S. W. of Oettingen.

Wallersville, p.v. Fayette Co. Ind.

Wallingford, a borough in Berkshire, Eng. 46
m. W. London.

Wallingford, t. Rutland Co. Vt. Pop. 1,740 ; ph.
N. Haven Co. Conn. 13 m. N. N. Haven. Pop.
2,419.

Wallkill, ph. Orange Co. N. Y. on the Hudson,
65 m. N. N. W. New York. Pop. 4,056.

Walney, an island of England, on the coast of
Lancashire. It is 9 m. long and 1 broad, and
serves as a bulwark to the hundred of Furness,
against the waves of'the Irish Sea.

Walnut,towns in Fairfield, Pickaway and Gallia
Cos. Ohio.

Walnut Grove, ph.Kenhawa Co. Va.; Cabarras
Co. N. C ; Spartanburg Dis. S. C. ; Mercer Co
Ken.; Montgomery Co. Ten.

Walnut Hill. p.v. Jefferson Co. Illinois.

Walpach, t. Sussex Co. N. J.

Wulpo, a town of Sclavonia, capital of a coun-
ty of the same name, with a castle. It is seated
on the river Walpo, 20 m. W. of Essek and 111-
S. of Bud<t.

Walpole, ph. Cheshire Co. N. H. on the Con
necticut 14 m. N. W. Keene. Pop. 1,979; ph
Norfolk Co. Mass. 18 m. S. W. Boston. Pop.
1.442.

Walterboro, p.v. Colleton Dis. S. C.

Walsall, a town of Staffordshire, Eng. with
manufactures of hardware. In the neighbourhood
are valuable lime works. 115 m. N. W. of London

Walsham, North, a town in Norfolk, Eng. 123
m. N. N. E. of London.

Walsingham, a town in Norfolk, Eng. 113 m.
N. N. E. of London.

Walsrode, a town of Hanover, in the duchy of
Lunenburg, with a convent of nuns of noble ex-
traction ; seated on the Bohme, 15 m. E. by S. of
Verden.

Waltenbuch, a towp of Germany, in the king-
dom of Wurtemberg, on the river Aich, 10 m. S.
by W. of Stuttgard.

Waltershausen, a town of Germany, in the
duchy of Saxe-Gotha, with manufactures of cloth ,
seated on the Horsel, 6 m. S. W. of Gotha.

Waltham, ph. Middlesex Co. Mass. on Charles
river, 11 m. N. W. Boston. Pop. 1,859. Here
are some of the largest cotton manufactures in the
United States, they are chiefly of shirting and
sheeting; between 2 and 3 millions of yards are
made yearly. There are also at this place man-
ufactures of machinery and bleacheries.

Waltham, a township of Addison Co. Vt. Pop
330.



Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com

Brookes' Universal Gazetteer of the World (1850)


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program
written in Python 3.2