Danube, 8 m. S. E. of Gran and 16 N. W. of
Vicenza, or Vicentino, a delegation of Austrian
Italy, in the government of Venice, 35 m. long
and 27 broad,, and so pleasant and fertile that it
is called the garden and flesh-market of Venioe.
Here are also mines of silver and iron, and quar-
ries-of stone, almost as fine as marble.
Vicenza, a city of Italy, the capital of the fore-
going province, and a bishops see. It is without
Walls, but is a large place, adorned with about
20 palaces from the designs of Palladio, who was
a native of this place. The cathedral is embellish-
ed with marble, and has some good paintings ; be-
sides which there are above 60 other churches, and
in that of St. Corona, the high altar, and the
painting by Paul Veronese of the Magni, paying
adoration to Christ, attract particular notice. In
the fine square before the town-house are two
lofty colums, with St. Marks winged lion on one
of them, and on the other a statue of our Saviour.
The other remarkable places are the Monte della
Picta with its fine library, the Palazzo Vecchio
with its admirable paintings, the Theatrum Olym-
picurn after the model of the amphitheatre of Pal-
ladio, and the triumphal arches in the public
promenade of Campo Marzo. The principal
manufactures are^ilk, damask, and taffeta, about
4 m. from the city on a mountain, is the church
Della Madonna di Monte Berrico, which is much
frequented by pilgrims, and has a fine frontis-
piece, with a convent close by Vicenza is seated
in a fertile plain, between two hills, at the union
ofthe rivulets Bachiglione and Rerone,22m. E.
of Veronea and 15. W. of Venice. Long. II. 40.
E., lat. 45. 28. N.
Vichy, a town of France, department of Allier,
near which are some mineral springs. It is seat-
ed on the Allier, 40 m. S. of Moulins.
Vicksburg, ph. Warren Co. Mississippi, on the
Mississippi, 60 m. N. E. Natchez. It has a brisk
trade in the exportation of cotton to New Orleans
by steamboats. The town is very picturesquely
built on the slopes* of several high hills.
Vico, a town of Naples, in Principato Citra, near
the bay of Naples, 5 m. N. E. of Sorento.
Vico, a town of Corsica, in which is the cathe-
dral of the bishop of Sagona, a town now in ruins.
It is 15 m. S. W. of Corte and 30 S. of Calvi.
Vicovaro, a town in the Ecclesiastical states, in
the district of Sabina, seated near the Teverone,
10 m. N. E. of Tivoli.
Victor, ph. Ontario Co. N. Y. 218 m. W. Albany.
Victory, a township of Essex Co. Vt. 45 m. N.
E. Montpelier. Pop. 53; ph. Cayuga Co. N. Y.
Vidalia, p.v. Concordia Parish, Lou. on the
Mississippi opposite Natchez.
Vielleborough, p.v. Caroline Co. Va.
Vielsh, a towin of Russia, in the government of
Vologda, situated on the Vogado, 156m.,N. N. E.
of Vologda. Long. 41. 45. E., lat. 61. 40. N.
Vienna, a city of Lower Austria, the capital of
the empire, and an archbishops see. It stands
in a fertile plain, on the right bank ofthe Danube
at the influx of the little river Vien. The city
itself is not of great extent, nor can it be enlarged
being limited by fortifications ; but it is very pop-
ulous. The streets in general are narrow, and the
houses high; but there are several fine squares,
and in that called Joseph Square is a colossal
equestrian statue in bronze of Joseph II. Some
of the public buildings are magnificent; the chief
of them are the imperial palace, the palaces of the
princes Litchtenstein, Eugene, &c., the imperial
chancery, the extensive imperial arsenal, the cit-
arsenal, the mint, the general hospital, the town
house, the custom-house, the bank, tbe library »
and the museum. No houses without the walls
are allowed to be built nearer to the glacis than
600 yards ; so that there is a circular field of that
breadth ali round the city, which has a beautiful
and salutary effect. The eight suburbs are not
populous in proportion to their size, for many
houses have extensive gardens. The circumfer-
ence ofthe city and suburbs is upwards of 18 m.
Many families, who live during the winter within
the fortifications, spend the summer in the su
burbs. The cathedral is built offreestone, and the
steeple contains a bell of uncommon magnitude
cast out of the cannon taken from the Turks. Ad-
joining to this church is the archbishops palace
the front of which is very fine. Vienna was in-
effectually besieged by the Turks in 1589 and
1683. At the latter period the seige was raised by
John Sobieski, king of Poland, who totally de-
feated the Turkish army. The university had
several thousand students, who, during the seige
mounted guard, as they did also in 1741. The
archducal library is much frequented by foreign-
ers, as it contains above 1,000,000 printed book3,
and 12,000 MSS. The archducal treasury, and a
cabinet of curiosities of the house of Austria, are
great rarities. The Danube is here very wide,
and contains several woody isles, one of which is
the prater, or imperial park ; it also forms a sort
of harbour, where are magazines of naval stores,
and ships have been fited out to serve on that ri-
ver against the Turks. The trade of Vienna is
in a flourishing state, and it has manufactures of
silk stuffs, gold and silver, lace, tarestry, looking-
glasses, &c. In 1805 this city surrendered to the
French, but was given up by the peace of Pres-
burg. In 1809 it again surrendered to the French,
but they again restored it on the conclusion of
Peace. In 1830 it experienced a severe calamity .
after a frost of 118 days a thaw set in on the 26th
of February, and about midnight on the 28th
the ice broke and inundated the dwellings of 50,
000 inhabitants, many of whom were drowned,
together with a great number of horses, cows,
pigs, &c. In 1831 it was united by the pestilen-
tial cholera, and suffered severely. It is 50 m.
W. of Presburg, 330 N. N. E. of Rome, and 570
E. of Paris. Long. 16. 16. E., lat. 48. 13. N. Pop.
Vienna, ph. Kennebec Co. Me. Pop. 722; ph.
Oneida Co. N. Y. Pop. 1,766; ph. Dorchester
Co. Md. and a port of entry, on Nanticoke Riv-
er ; p.v. Trumbull Co. Ohio. Pop. 910; p.v.
Johnson Co. 111. and Davies Co. Ken.; p.v. Abbe
ville Dis. S. C. and Clarke Co. Ind.
Vienne, a town of France, department of Isere,
and an archbishops see. In the 5feh century the
Burgundians made it the capital of their kingdom
The cathedral is a handsome Gothic structure. In
1311 a general council was held here, at which
pope Clement V. presided, and among other mat-
ters, the suppression of the Knight Templars was
determined. The commerce of Vienne consists in
wines, silk, and sword-blades. It is seated on the
Rhone, 15 m. S. S. E. of Lyons and 38 N. W.
of Grenoble. Long. 4. 56. E., lat. 45. 32. N.
Vienne, a department of France, formed of
part of the province of Poitou, and bounded N
by the department of Indre-et-Loire, and S. bv
that of Charente. It takes its name from a rivej