the ancient mint, the parliament house, the gov-
ernors house, and the printing office. The last
is celebrated for the Literary Journals composed
by the Jesuits of the college of Louis le Grand.
Trevoux is seated on the side of a hill, on the
river Saone, 12 m. N. of Lyons and 183 S. by E.
of Paris. Long. 4. 51. E., lat. 54. N.
Trexlerstown, p.v. Lehigh Co. Pa.
Treysa, a town of Germany, in Hesse-Cassel,
16 m. E. N. E. of Marburg.
Triann, p.v. Madison Co. Alab. 18 m. S. W.
Triaddphia, p.v. Montgomery Co. Md. Here
are manufactures af cotton.
Tribua, a town of the Austrian states, in Mo-
ravia, 30 m. N. W. of Olmutz.
Tribsees, a town of Prussia, in Pomerania
with a castle ; seated on the Trebel, 22 m. S. S.
W. of Stralsund and 28 m. E. S. E. of Rostock.
Tribstadt, a town of Bavaria, in the province of
the Rhine, 16 m. E. N. E. of Deux Ponts.
Tricala, a town of Macedonia, on the Strimon,
50 m. E. N. E. of Salonica.
Tricarico, a town of Naples, in Basilicata, 13
m. S. E. of Acerenza and 21 m. S. W. of Ma-
Triceto, a town of Naples, in Calabria Citra,
14 m. S. E. of Scalea..
Tricolore, a town of Hindoostan, in the Carnatic,
where Tippoo Sultan was defeated by the Brit-
ish in 1790. It is 44 m. W. of Pondicherry.
Trieste, a government of the Austrian empire,
bounded by the government of Lambach, the
Adriatic, and Croatia. It comprises the southern
part of Illyria, is divided into four circles, and
contains an area of about 5,000 square miles,
with 550,000 inhabitants.
Trieste, a sea-port of Austrian Illyria, capital of
a circle of its name, in the foregoing govern-
ment, and a bishops see. The harbour is spa-
cious, screened by a wall, fortified with a bastion.
In the old town the houses stand on the side of a
mountain,extending themselves quite to the sea;
and on the top of the mountain is a castle. On
the N. W. side of the old town, where formerly
were salt-pits, a beautiful suburb, or new town,
nas been built. The fixed inhabitants, estimated
at 40,000, have a good trade in salt, oil, almonds,
iron, copper, &c., brought from Lubach ; and
they make good white wines. Trieste was taken
by the French in 1797, but evacuted in the same
year. In 1809 it again fell into the hands of the
French, who retained it till 1814. It stands on a
gulf of its name, which is the N. E. part of the
gulf of Venice, 12 m. N of Capo dlstria and 70
N. E. of Venice. Long. 14. 3. E , lat. 45. 51. N.
Trigg, a county of Kentucky. Pop. 5,839 Ca-
diz is the capital.
Trim, a town of Ireland, capital of the county
of Meath; seated on the Boyne, 23, m. N. W.
of Dublin. Long. 6. 48. W., lat. 53. 32. N.
Trincomale. a sea-port on the E. coast of Cey-
lon, with a harbour reckoned the finest in the fe.
Indies, but situate in the most barren part of
the island. The nearest farm villages, from
which the inhabitants are supplied with provis-
ions, are upwards of 12 m. distant. The harbour
is defended by two forts, Trincomale and Osten-
burg, the latter built upon a cliff, projecting 1,500
paces into the sea. Its circumference within the
walls is about 3 m. but in this space is included a
rising point, immediately over the sea, covered
with th.ck jungle. Trincomale was taken from
the Dutch by the English, in!782, retaken by the
French the same year, restored to the Dutch by
the peace of 1783, and again taken by the Eng-
lish in 1795. It stands on a spacious bay of the
same name, 100 m. N. N. E. of Candy. Long.
81. 25. E., lat. 8. 32. N.
Trincomale, a town of Hindoostan, in the Car-
natic, near which the troops of Hyder Ali were
defeated by the British in 1763. It is 45 m. S.
S. W. of Arcot and 52 W. N. W. of Pondicherry
Trinidad, an island on the N. E. coast of Terra
Firma, separated from Paria on the S. by a chan-
nel about 10 m. over, and from Cumana on the
W. by the gulf of Paria, the N. entrance into
which is called Boca del Drago (Dragons Mouth),
on account of the adverse currents and tempes-
tuous waves encountered here, when this island,
with the neighbouring continent, was discovered
by Columbus, in 1498. It is 90 m. long and 50
broad; produces sugar, cotton, maize, fine tobac-
co, indigo, and fruit; but the air is unhealthy.
It was taken in 1595 by Sir Walter Raleigh, and
in 1676 by the French, who plundered and left it.
In 1797 it was captured by the English, and af-
terwards ceded to them by the treaty of Amiens.
The capital is Port dEspagne, on the gulf of Pa-
ria, near the Boca. Lon*. 61. 30. W., lat. 10. 0.
Trinidad, a sea-port of Guatemala, on a bay of
the Pacific Ocean. It is a place of great trade,
the harbour being the nearest landing to Guate-
mala for all merchandise that comes from Mexico
and Peru. The town is nine m. from the har-
bour, and 110 E. S. E. of Guatemala. Lon*. 90
40. W., lat. 14. 0. N.
Trinidad, a sea-port of Cuba, in a bay on the
S. part of the island, 40 m. S. W. of Spiritu San-
to. Long. 80. 3. W , lat. 21. 58. N.
Trinidad, a town of Colombia, seated on the
Madalena, 53 m. N. W. of St. Fe de Bogota.
Trinidada, three rocky islets in the Atlantic
Ocean, 200 lea*ues E. of Spiritu Santo, in Brazil.
Long. 29. 35. W., lat. 20. 30. S.
Trinity, a sea-port on the N. side of Martinique,
with a spacious and safe harbour and a considera-
ble trade. Lon*. 61. 8. W., lat. 14. 53. N.
Trino, a town of the Sardinian states, in Pied-
mont, 8 m. N. W. of Casal and 35 N. E. ofTurin.
Tripatore, a town of Hindoostan, in Marawar,
36 m. E. N. E. of Madura and 58 S. W. of Tan-
Tripoli, a country of Barbary, bounded on the
N. by the Mediterranean, E. by Barca, S. by Fez-
zan, and W. by Biledulgerid and Tunis. It is
not very fertile, and the E. part is quite a desert.
It is 925 m. along the coast, but the breadth is
various. It is governed by a dey, under the pro-
tection of the Turks.
Tripoli, a city and sea-port of Barbary, capital
of the foregoing country, with a castle and a fort
The inhabitants are noted pirates. It was taken
by emperor Charles V., who settled the knights
of Rhodes here; but they were expelled by the
Turks in 1551. The Americans made an attempt
upon the town in 1804, but without success. It
was formerly very flourishing, and has now some
trade in ashes, ostriches feathers, and skins; but
they gain more by the Christians taken at sea;
for they either set high ransoms on them, or sell
them for slaves. Tripoli is seated on the Medi-
terranean, surrounded by a wall, 275 m. S. E. of
Tunis and 570 E. S. E. of Algiers. Long. 13. 5
E., lat. 32. 54. N.
Tripoli, a town of Syria, on the Mediterranean
defended by a citadel. There is one handsome