Brookes’ Universal Gazetteer, page 719
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


THA    719    THA

wards; and on the other side a similar grant has
been made to general Wesvil. The colony call-
ed Fredonia, ir. this province, was established in
1824 by Mr. Austin, who has offered to every
colonist a lot of 640 acres, or an English square
mile, with a house. The constitution of this gov-
ernment is that of a federal republic, and has
been literally copied from that of the United
States, but the Catholic religion was alone to be
tolerated. But such an absurd intolerant clause
as this in any of the new independent states of
Mexico, cannot long be in force in the vicinity
of such a free government as that of the United
States, as such an act would exclude all but Ro-
man Catholic emigrants,—whereas all are made
equally welcome to the United States. In 1825
captain Sedgewick, of Russelville in Kentucky,
obtained a grant from the Mexican government
of from 6 to 8 millions of acres, in this province,
along the borders of Louisiana. One principal
condition was inserted in this grant, that a cer-
tain number df the colonists should be free from
all taxes for five years. The capital of Texas
under the old government was San Antonio de
Bejar, on a^mall stream of the same name, and
contained, according to Pike, about 2,000 souls;
but the present capital, Saltillo, on the confines
of Coahuila and New Leon, is said to contain

8,000 souls. Its site is bad, being surrounded
with arid plains, where the traveller suffers much
from want of water. The western part of Texas
is inhabited entirely by Spaniards. The soil is
excellent, and all the habitations are watered by
artificial canals, which cause the waters of the
Rio de Nueces and neighbouring springs to irri-
gate the gardens and fields.

Texel, an island of the Netherlands, separated
from N. Holland by a narrow channel of the same
name, defended by a strong fort on the mainland,
called the Helder. This channel is the best and
most southern entrance into the Zuyder Zee,
and through it most of the ships pass that are
bound to Amsterdam. In 1799 the fort was taken
by the English, and the whole of the Dutch fleet,
lying within the channel, surrendered to them ;
but the English abandoned the fort soon after-
wards. Long. 4. 59. E., lat. 53. 10. N.

Teya, or They a, a river of the Austrian states,
which rises near Teltsch, in Moravia, flows E.,
by Znaim, on the borders of Austria, and enters
the Moraw, on the confines of Hungary.

Teyn, a town of Bohemia, in the circle of
Bechin, seated on the Muldau, 10 m. S. E. of
Piseck.

Tezar, a town of Fez, capital of the province
of Cuzi, containing a mosque half a mile in cir-
cumference. It is seated on a small river, 45 m.
E. of Fez. Long. 4. 15. W., lat. 33. 40. N.

Tezcuco, a town of Mexico, once the capital of
a rich kingdom. Here Cortez caused a canal to
oe dug, and built 18 brigantines, to carry on the
siege of Mexico. It is seated near the lake of
Mexico, 20 m. E. of Mexico.

Tezda, a town of Algiers, in the province of
Mascara, with a castle, 15 m. S. W. of Oran.

Tezout, a town of the kingdom of Fez, seated
on the point of a rock, 15 m. S. of Melilla.

Tezzoute, an ancient town of Algiers, in the
province of Constantia. Its ruins extend 10 m.
in circumference, among which are magnificent
remains of city gates, an amphitheatre, a temple
dedicated to Esculapius, and other elegant struc-
tures. 90 m. S. S. W. of Constantia.

Thames, a town of the kingdom of Tunis, near
the mouth of a river of the same name, 120 m S
of Tunis. Long. 10. 15. E., lat. 34. 50. N.

lllllllll

HIP

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

llll|llll

lllllllll

llll|llll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

cm j

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

1

0 1

1 1

2 1

3 1

4


Thame, or Tame, a river which rises near Tring
in Hertfordshire, crosses Buckinghamshire to the
N. of Aylesbury, enters Oxfordshire at the town
of Thame, whence it is navigable for barges to
Dorchester, where it joins the Thames. This
river has been erroneously supposed to give name
to the
Thames

Thame, a town in Oxfordshire, Eng. seated on
the river Thame, 12 m. E. of Oxford and 44 W
by N. of London.

Thames, the finest river in Great Britain,
which takes its rise from a copious spring, called
Thames Head, 2 m. S. W. of Cirencester, in
Gloucestershire. About a m. below the source
of the river, it is not more than nine feet wide in
the summer, yet, in the winter, becomes such a
torrent as to overflow the meadow’s for many
miles. The stream proceeds to Lechlade ; and
being there joined by the Coin and Lech, at tbe
distance of 138 m. from London, it becomes nav-
igable for vessels of 90 tons. At Oxford it is
joined by the Charwell, and, proceeding by
Abingdon to Dorchester, it receives the Thame.
Passing by Wallingford to Reading, and forming
a boundary to Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Sur-
rey, and Middlesex, it waters Henley, Marlow,
Maidenhead, Windsor, Staines, Chertsey, Kings-
ton, and Brentford, in its course to London.
From London the river proceeds to Greenwich,
Woolwich, Grays-Thurrock, Gravesend, and
Leigh, into the German Ocean. The tide flows
up the Thames as high as Kingston, which, fol-
lowing the winding of the river, is 70 miles from
the ocean—a greater distance than the tide is car-
ried by any other river in Europe. Though the
Thames is said to be navigable 138 miles above
London Bridge, there are so many fiats that in
summer the navigation westward would be stop-
ped, were it not for a number of locks; but the
first lock is 52 miles above that bridge. The
plan of new cuts has been adopted, in some places,
to shorten the navigation ; there is one near Lech-
lade, and another a mile from Abingdon. A still
more important undertaking was effected in 1789
—the junction of this river with the Severn. A
canal had been made from the Severn to Stroud,
which canal wins afterwards continued to Lech-
lade, where it joins the Thames, a distance of
above 30 miles. A communication between this
river and the Trent and Mersey has likewise been
effected, by a canal from Oxford to Coventry ;
and another canal extends from this, at Brauns-
ton, to the Thames at Brentford, called the Grand
Junction Canal.

Thames, a river of Connecticut, formed of two
principal branches, the Shetucket and the Nor-
wich, or Little River, which have their junction
at Norwich. From this place the Thames is nav-
igable 15 m. to Long Island Sound, which it en-
ters below New London,

Thames, a river of Upper Canada, flowing into
Lake St. Clair above Detroit.

• Thanet, an island comprising the E. angle of
Kent, being separated from the mainland by the
two branches of the Stour. It produces much
corn, and the S. part is a rich tract of marsh land
It contains the towns of Margate, Ramsgate, and
Broadstairs, and several villages.

Thanhausen, a town of Bavaria, on the river
Mindel, 14 in. N. of Mindelheim.

Thasos, an island of the Grecian Archipelago,
on the coast of Macedonia, at the entrance of the




PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program
written in Python 3.2