Brookes’ Universal Gazetteer, page 699
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


STR    699    STR

Strausberg, a town of Prussia, in the Middle
Mark of Brandenburg, with an old castle on a
mountain. It has manufactures of baize and
cloth, and stands on the lake Strauss, 21 m. E.
N. E. of Berlin.

Strawntown, ph. Bucks Co. Pa.

Strehla, a town of Saxony, in Meissen, near
which the Prussians were defeated by the Aus-
trians in 1760. It is seated on the Elbe, 14 m.
N. W. of Meissen.

Strehlen, a town of Prussian Silesia, with man-
ufactures of woolens, stockings, and leather; seat-
ed on the Ohla, 22 m. S. of Breslau.

Strelitz, JVew, a town of Lower Saxony, capital
of the duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. It owes
its origin to the destruction of the ducal palace,
in Old Strelitz: in consequence of which, in 1713,
the duke began to erect a magnificent palace, 2
in. from the site of the old one, at a place called
Glienke, which was before his hunting seat; and
in 1733 he founded a town adjoining to the palace,
and ordered it to be called New Strelitz. The
centre is a spacious market-place,*and thence a
number of streets branch out in straight lines;
the chief street leads to the palace, and the next
to a pleasant lake. It is seated among lakes 55
m. S E. of Gustrow and 56 N. by W. of Berlin.
Long. 13. 18. E., lat. 53. 21. N.

Strelitz Old, a small town of the duchy of Meck-
lenburg, the residence of the younger branch of
that house, till the castle was burnt down in 1712.
See the preceding article.

Strengnes, a town of Sweden, in Sudermania,
and a bishop’s see, seated on the lake Maerler, 30
n». W. by S. of Stockholm. Long. 17. 4. E., lat.
59. 20. N.

Striekersville, p.v. Chester Co. Pa.

Striegau, a town of Prussian Silesia, in the
principality of Schweidnitz, seated oil a river, at
the foot of a mountain, 11 m. N. of Schweid-
nitz.

Stroemsholm, a town of Sweden, in Westmania
situate on the lake Mealer, 45 rn. S. W. ofUpsal.
Long. 16. 24. E., lat. 59. 30. N.

Stroma, a small island of Scotland, on the coast
of Caithness-shire, in Pentland Frith. Its ca-
verns were once used by the inhabitants of the
neighbouring island as places of interment. Near
its N. end is a dangerous whirlpool.

Stromberg, a town of Prussian Westphalia, in
the government of Munster, 20 m. E. N. E. of
Munster and 20 N. W. of Paderborn.

Stromboli, the most northern of the Lipari Isl-
ands. It is a volcano, which rises in a conical
form to the height of 3,000 feet; and on the E.
side are three or four little craters ranged near
each other, nearly at two-thirds of its height. Not-
withstanding its fires, it is inhabited, and pro-
duces a great deal of cotton. Of all the volca-
noes recorded in history, Stromboli seems to be
the only one that burns without ceasing; and it
has long been looked upon as the great lighthouse
of the Mediterranean, the flames being seen by.
night at a great distance. Long. 15. 40. E., lat.

38.40. N.

Stromness, a town of Scotland, on the S. W.
side of the island of Pomona, with a good harbour,
9 m. W. of Kirkwall.

Stromoe, the principal of the Feroe Islands, in
the Northern Ocean, 30 m. in length and 10 in
breadth. It has a town called Thorshaven, which
is the capital of all the islands and the common
market. Long. 7. 0. W., lat. 62. 10. N.

Stromsoe, a town of Norway, in the province
of Aggerhuys, 18 m. S. W. of Christiania. See
Drammen.

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

llll|llll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

:| I

cm j

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

1

0 1

1 1

2 1

00

ha

4


Stromstadt, a town of Sweden, in W. Gothland
celebrated for its shell-fish.    It stands on the

coast of the N. Sea. 43 m. N. N. W. of Uddevalle.
Long. II. 4. E., lat. 59. 4. N.

Strong, ph. Somerset Co. Me. P.op. 985.

Strongsville, ph. Cuyahoga Co. Ohio. 125 m. N.
E. Columbus. Pop 6,311.

Strongoli, a town of Naples, in Calabria Ultra,
seated on a high rock, 3 m. from the sea, and 7 N.
of St. Severino.

Stronsa, one of the Orkney Islands, situate N.
E. of that called Pomona. It is 7 m. from N. to
S. and nearly the same in breadth, but so indent-
ed by bays that no part of it is above a mile and a
half from the sea. It produces much kelp, and
feeds many sheep and cattle.

Strontian, a village of Scotland, in Arglyeshire
and in the district of Ardnamurchan, noted for its
lead mines, in which a new kind of mineral was
discovered in 1790, and named
Strontites.

Stroud, a town in Gloucestershire, Eng. It is
seated on a brook, the waters of which are pecu-
liarly adapted to the dyeing of scarlet, and its
banks are consequently crowded with the houses
of clothiers: a navigable canal accompanies its
progress to the Severn, and is now extended to
join the Thames atLechlade. Stroud is 11 m. S
by E. of Gloucester and 100
W. by N. of London

Stroud, a considerable village in Kent, Eng

Stroudsburg, p.v. Northampton Co. Pa.

Stuartsburg, p.v. Westmoreland Co. Pa.

Studland, a village in Dorsetshire, Eng. in the
neighbourhood of which are several curious bar-
rows.

Stuhlingen, a town of Baden, in a lordship, of
the same name, with a castle on a mountain, 9 m.
S. of Furstenburg.

Stuhlweissenburg, a town of Hungary, capital ot
a county of its name, and the see of a bishop, sit-
uate in marshy ground, occasioned by the river
Sarwitz. It was formerly the place for the cor
onation of the kings, and generally also of their
interment; but it is much decayed, since its
works were dismantled in 1702. The number of
inhabitants is estimated at 13,000. 36 m. S'. W. of
Buda, and 80 S. E. of Presbur*. Long. 18. 28. E.
lat. 47. 18. N.

Sturbridge, ph. Worcester Co. Mass. 70 m. S.
W. Boston, with manufactures of woolen and cot-
ton. Pop. 1,683.

Stutgard, a city of Germany, capital of the
kingdom of Wurtemberg. It is surounded by
walls and ditches, and has an ancient castle, witli
a rich cabinet of curiosities, a magnificent palace,
an orphan house, a college, a ducal academy,
and observatory, a military academy one of
the largest libraries in Germany. It has man-
ufactures of silks, stockings, ribands, &c. and
around it are innumerable vineyards and gardens.
The streets are narrow in the city, and the houses
generally of wood ; but there are fine houses, and
straight streets, in one of the suburbs. Stutgard
was repeatedly entered by the armies on both sides
between 1796, and 1815. It is seated in a plain
among mountains, near the river Neckar, 36 m,
E. ofBaden and 52 N. E. of Strasburg. Long. 9,
21. E., lat. 48. 44. N.

Styria, a province of Austria, 125 m. long and
17 broad; bounded on the E. by Hungary, S. by
Carniola, and W. by Carinthia and Salzburg, it
is divided into Upper and Lower Styria; the for-
p*-— contain'!?* the circles of Judenbur*










PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program
written in Python 3.2