Stickhausen, a town and castle of Hanover, in
.he principality of E. Frieslsnd, 22 m. E. S. E. of
Stigliano, a town of Naples, in Basilicata, fa-
mous for its baths ; seated near the Salandrella,
26 m. S. S. E. of Acerenza.
Stillwater, ph. Saratoga Co. N. Y. on the W.
ba,nk of the Hudson. 24 m. N. Albany. Pop.
8,601. This spot is celebarted for the battles
fought between the armies of Gates and Burgoyne
in September and October 1777.
Stillwater, p.v. Sussex Co. N. J. and Miami Co.
Stillwellsville, ph. Montgomery Co. N. Y.
Stilton, a town in Huntingdonshire, Eng. cele-
brated for a rich kind of cheese, sometimes called
English Parmesan. 75 m. N. by E. of London.
Stirxhar, a river of Scotland, in the S. part of
Ayrshire, which has a rapid course of 26 m. and
enters the ocean below Ballantrae.
Stirling, a borough of Scotland, capital of Stir-
lingshire, seated on the river Forth, on a hill,
which terminates abruptly in a steep basaltic rock.
On this rock is an ancient castle, once a place of
great strength, and often the scene of bloody con-
tention. The palace, erected by James V., is a
stately building; the outside curiously ornamen-
ted with grotesque figures. Here are two church-
es and a famous grammar school. In the town
and its neighbourhood are manufactures of car-
pets, shalloons, and other woollen stuffs ; and the
cotton trade is flourishing. A salmon fishery,
belonging to the town, is let to a company, who
send the fish chiefly to the London and Edin-
burgh markets. Stirling lias undergone consid-
erable improvement within the last 30 years; se-
veral new streets have been built on a modern
and improved plan on the N. side of the town,
and, in the old part of the town, numbers of hou-
sed have been rebuilt. From its commodious
situation, Stirling commands the pass between
the N. and S. part of Scotland. It is 30 m. N.
W. of Edinburgh. Long. 3. 45. W'., lat. 56.
Stirlingshire, a county of Scotland, 35 m. long
and 10 broad ; bounded on the N. by Perthshire, N.
E. by Clackmannanshire, and the frith of Forth, S.
E. by Linlithgowshire, S. by Lanarkshire and
Dumbartonshire, and W. by Dumbartonshire. It
is divided into 24 parishes, and contains 65,376 in-
habitants. The principal rivers are the Forth, Car-
ron, and Avon; and the great canal crosses it
from the mouth ofthe Carron. The S. part of the
county is mountainous, but the part near the
Forth is fertile. It abounds in coal, ironstone,
Stirum, a town of Prussia in the grand duchy
of Lower Rhine, seated on the Roer, 12 m. N.
Stock, a township of Harrison Co. Ohio.
Stockoch, a town of Germany, in Baden and near
which the Austrians gained a victory over the
French in 1799, and in 1800 the latter defeated
the former, and took possession of the town. It
is seated on a river of the same name, 17 m. N.
E. of Constance.
Stoekbridge, a borough in Hampshire, Eng. 66
m. W. by S. of London.
Stoekbridge, ph. Berkshire Co. Mass. 130 m.
W. Boston, with manufactures of cotton, woolen
and chairs, and quarries of marble. Pop. 1,580;
ph. Windsor Co. Vt Pop. 1,333; ph. Madison
Co. N. Y.
Stockem, a town of the Netherlands, in the ter-
ritory or Liege, seated on the Meuse, 11 m. N. ct
Stocker au, a town of Austria, situate near the
Danube, 14 m. N. N. W. of Vienna.
Stoekertown, p.v. Northampton Co. Pa.
. Stockholm, a province of Sweden, comprising
the eastern parts of Upland and Sudermania, or
the districts of Roslagen and Sodertorn. It has
an area of 2,736 square miles, with 100,000 in-
Stockholm, the capital of Swedeen lies in a situ-
ation remarkable for its romantic scenery. It is
very long, irregular, and occupies, besides two
peninsulas, three rocky islands, situate in the
Maelar, in the streams which issue from that
lake, and in a bay of the Baltic. There are four
smaller islands, or rather islets, on which are sit-
uate forts or buildings for naval purposes. A va-
riety of contrasted and beautiful views are formed
by numerous rocks of granite, rising boldly from
the surface of the water, partly bare and craggy,
and partly dotted with houses, or feathered with
wood. The harbour is an inlet ofthe Baltic ; the
water is of such depth that ships of the largest
burden can approach the quay. At the extremi
ty of the harbour, several streets rise one above
another in the form of an amphitheatre, and the
palace, a magnificent buftding, crowns the sum-
mit. Except in the suburbs, where several houses
are of wood, painted red, the generality of the
buildings are of stone or of brick whitened with
stucco. There is a royal academy of science, in-
stituded by the celebrated Linnaeus,and a few oth-
er learned men, in 1741 ; and also a royal academy
of arts. The arsenal contains an immense num-
ber of trophies and standards taken from differ-
ent nations. Stockholm, with a small territory
surrounding it, forms a separate government, has
its own magistrates, and coutains nearly 100,000
inhabitants, who manufacture glass, china, silk,
woolen, &c. It is 320 rn. N. E. of Copenhagen,
1,000 N. E. of Paris, and 900 N. E. of London.
Long. 18. 9 E., lat. 59. 20. X.
Stockholm, ph. St. Lawrence Co. N. Y. 30 m.
E. Ogdenburg. Pop. 1,944; p.v. Morris Co.
Stockport a town in Cheshire, Eng. with a mar-
ket, and considerable manufactures of cot-
ton, printed goods, and hats. From its contigui
ty to Manchester, and the facilties of its canai
navigation, Stockport partakes of the prosperity
of that town. The number of inhabitants in 1821
was 21,726. It is seated on the Mersey, 7 m. S
S. E. of Manchester and 179 N. N. . W. of
Stockport, p.v. Wayne Co. Pa. on the Delaware.
150 m. N. Philadelphia.
Stockton, a borough in the county of Durham,
Eng. Here are two docks for ship building
manufactures of canvass and ropes to a consider-
able extent, also of diapers, huckabacks, checks
&c. It is seated on the river Tees not far from
its mouth. 243 m. N. by W. ol London.
Stockton, ph. Chatauque Co. N. Y. 60 m. S. W
Buffalo. Pop. 1,604.
Stoddard, ph. Cheshire Co. N. H. Pop. 1,159.
Stoddardsville, p.v Luzerne Co. Pa.
Stokes, a county of N. Carolina. Pop. 16,196
Salem is the capital. A township of Madison Co
Stokesbury, p.v. Stokes Co. N. C.
Stokesley, a small but neat town in N. York
shire, Eng. 238 m. N. by W. of London.
Stolberg, a town of Prussian Saxony, capital of